Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Waking My System?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

i've posted before, not sure if it was in the wrong area though since there's still no solution to it. anyway, my new toshiba notebook with window vista turns itself back on right after put into sleep or hibernation mode. is there any program or application known for waking the system? it's so frustrating, after several failed attempts, i got a a screen telling me that
the system was shut down unsuccessfully.......and i'm left with several rebooting options----safe mode.... normal route.
please help. :huh:
i've tried to reinstall my video driver, and went to device manager to make sure those with "allow the device to wake the computer" option is unchecked..... it's still waking itself....

~Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 01 September 2007 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

There are options in the BIOS for "wake on LAN" and "wake on USB". Can you check those?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

I might be able to help, but I have a couple of questions to ask?

1. Is there any different between the action taken (in this case waking back up) after putting it into S3 (sleep) or S4 (hibernate)?

2. have you checked your BIOS to see if your notebook is set to "wake-on-lan"? if your notebook is plugged into a network and something is trying to access it for any reason, that might be why it's waking up right after going to sleep.

3. Have you been able to put it to sleep or hibernate before? If so, how long ago? if not, has it been doing this since you bought it? if so, I suggest you take it back and get it fixed, the original warranty should cover it

Generally, well actually always, if you put your notebook (or any computer) to S4 (hibernate) it is off. flat off. no power circulation whatsoever. This is because when your computer is going to hibernate, it stores EVERYTHING that is running into memory on your HD (hiberfil.sys I believe). That's why it's so big. if you have 2gb of ram in your machine for example, that file should be at least 3gb. It's like a giant pagefile.

Try reading this information, and if you have any more questions, please ask...

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista...a_hibernate.htm
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#4 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

guys, how do i check for the BIOS options? i'm sorry, i'm really not computer savvy, might need some step-by-step guide.
there's not much difference between sleep and hibernation in terms of the notebook's action, when it goes to sleep, it stays that way for like seconds, hibernation was able to complete, but doesn't stay at all, both result in the system turning itself right back on to where it was.
this is a brand new unit, as far as i can remember, i was probably able to put it into sleep or hibernation(without its restarting on its own) like once or twice. i uninstalled some trash programs that manufacturer installed. and installed some protection ones this site recommended. e.g. adware. spybot.... my biggest suspicion is the McAfee one, which i still have, since there's always an error message of this siteadviser thing not working.
anyway, the problem is i can't remember where i put my warranty and receipts( i only tested it to see if it worked after i bought it, didn't really start using it until about 1 month later), now when i need them, i just can't find.
i spent like 1 hour on the phone with toshiba's tech support, two words, they suck, told me to do this and that, nothing was fixed, only stressed me out more.

Edited by cute0206, 01 September 2007 - 06:25 PM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

You need to find out if you removed Toshiba's power management utility. If you have, Here is the link to instructions on using the application recovery, http://www.askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupp...;kcId=806477xml You will need to reload the Toshiba Power Management Utility for the Hibernate/Sleep to Work correctly.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

and how do i find out if i've removed the power management utility?

#7 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

You should be able to find it somewhere in your start menu or your control panel. If you're unsure, just install it again and see what happens. Let us know.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#8 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

i did check the BIOs options to see "wake on lan" or "wake on usb" are on. there's no such options, only "wake on keyboard" which is disabled. where do i download and install the power management utility thing again? sorry guys, please be patient with me though. thanks

Edited by cute0206, 01 September 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:40 PM

1. Double-click the Toshiba Application Installer icon on the Windows desktop. This utility may also be launched by clicking Start, then All Programs, then Hard Disk Recovery Utilities.

2. Click Next.

3. Click the item(s) you wish to install. To select multiple items, hold down the Ctrl key as you click your selections.

4. Click Install.

5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation process.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

how come neither can i find Toshiba application installer icon on my desktop nor the hard disk recovery utilities in all program? i did find utilities in all program, but there's no hard disk recovery under.

Edited by cute0206, 02 September 2007 - 03:20 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

What make and model of Toshiba laptop do you have?
Do you have anything "Toshiba" listed on your Start Menu (to see if this is a Toshiba install or another type of Windows installation)?
Have you checked your Device Manager for any issues there? (Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter). Are there any red x's or yellow !'s ?

Presuming that this is a newer laptop with Vista preinstalled, I'm wondering if the Away function for the processor may not be properly installed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

USASMA:
glad to hear from you again, i'm still waiting for your response to my other post. i've done everything u told me to, but still the same problem, system turning itself back on right after put into sleep or hibernation. in start menu, there's toshiba, toshiba games, toshiba applications, toshiba support.
i don't see any x's or i's in device manager, it's the event manager that has those signs, and i've posted the logs in my other post. again, still waiting for your response to my other post. thanks again. my toshiba is p105-s6187
happy labor day weekend.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:40 AM

Which other post? Would it be possible to combine all these posts into one - as they may be related?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

here's the link to my other post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic105842-15.html
i'm just quite confused right now since everyone replying to my post has a different opinion about it. really don't know where to look for the root of the issue. is it one particular program or application, does my system not have the toshiba power management utility?
it's just so frustrating that someone points out one possible cause, then i posted for more info, he/she just stops replying leaving me completely clueless about what i was doing.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

here's the link to my other post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic105842-15.html
i'm just quite confused right now since everyone replying to my post has a different opinion about it. really don't know where to look for the root of the issue. is it one particular program or application, does my system not have the toshiba power management utility?
it's just so frustrating that someone points out one possible cause, then i posted for more info, he/she just stops replying leaving me completely clueless about what i was doing.

You're not helping by starting another thread. It's much simpler to bump the original
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users