Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player 11 Not Spawning For Any Internet Videos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 unkelone

unkelone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

I just got a new computer that came with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've been trying to view some videos on the internet with no success. On the old XP, all I had to do was click a video link and Windows Media Player would spawn (pop up) and start playing the video (I have cable internet by the way). Howvever now on Vista, every time I click on a video link Windows Media Player doesn't open up, it doesn't do anything, and Explorer directs me to the error page of "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." It doesn't matter what kind of file I'm trying to view, whether it's a mpeg, avi, or wma, the result is always the same. I can however pop in a dvd or my external hard drive and start watching any of the videos I have saved. It just doesn't do anything on the web. So if anyone can help me out, it would be much appricated. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

You might not have WMP11 set to open up the said videos externally.

Do you have any other programs on your machine (to your knowledge) that are set to open those file extensions? (mpeg, avi, wmv)

If you don't think so, open up your CONTROL PANEL (ORB, CONTROL PANEL)

Open up SET DEFAULT PROGRAMS (if in classic mode; otherwise in normal mode, at the CONTROL PANEL HOME, click PROGRAMS and choose SET DEFAULT PROGRAMS)

If you have UAC on, you might be prompted.

Choose WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER on the left panel and click CHOOSE DEFAULTS FOR THIS PROGRAM.

If that doesn't work, look into what your browser has set as the default program for opening said file extensions.

I hope i was able to help.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users