Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Downloaded-recovered Xp Now Dll Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mobello

mobello

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

I am working on a
Gateway MX6025 Notebook
Celeron
Win XP Home

Not sure about much else.

Apparently she clicked on a popup that stated that her registry had items that needed to be fixed and then it crashed. It wouldn't reboot so she inserted the system recovery CD. I attempted the Gateway System Recovery (with back up first, and then destructive). Each seemed to go well saying that recovery was successful, until restart when it gets about halfway through Setup and says:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup
Installing Devices...
Please wait while Setup detects and installs devices...your screen may flicker for a few seconds.

Error message: rundll32.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\streamci.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

click OK

Error message: RUNDLL
Error loading streamci
%1 is not a valid Win32 application

click OK

error messages again and again

Finally, after 2 hours of rebooting we are to the desktop. YAY.

error message: Remind_XP.exe-Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\MFC42u.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

click OK

Everything seems fine.

This error pops up with every restart.

What should I do now to fix this error?

Thank you so much.
Some people say, "Dance like no one is watching". I say that's a bad idea. We ARE watching, so spare us.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

You might want to try to wipe the hard drive with Dban and then retry the Recovery CD.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users