Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Boot Loader

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

I had a separate 5gb partition on my hard drive so I could boot into Freespire linux. A few weeks later I found out I was running low on hard drive space and decided to reformat that partition so I could combine it with my xp partition. After reformating the linux partition I restarted my computer and got grub 1.5 error message 17 (grub is the boot loader for using linux). After finding out I needed to use windows recovery from the windows xp disc, I found one from another computer lying around. So after I typed fixmbr in the recovery console, it said new boot loader created. I restarted my computer and now the grub message is gone, but instead I get a message saying something like, error hit f1 to retry boot or f2 to enter set up.

After this I went back into recovery and tried fixboot. It didn't help at all. So now I have no idea except maybe reformat my computer, which I really don't want to do. Any suggestions of what to do? Thank you so much, this problem is really frustrating :thumbsup: .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:16 AM

Try fixing the MBR with a 98 boot disk in DOS. At the prompt type "fdisk /MBR" (no quotes and there's a space between fdisk and /)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users