Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall, Ics, Network Connections Unaccessible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 majinbejitto

majinbejitto

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I'm having problems with my network and windows firewall settings on Windows XP.

1. The "Network Connections" icon in control panel is blank, and if I double-click on it, nothing happens.

2. Windows Firewall is unaccessible. It says "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?" If I click "Yes", it says "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) serivce."

3. If I type "ipconfig" in CMD, it doesn't say any information, and says some error message instead, "The application has failed to start because netshell.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Because of all this, I am unable to open any ports, however I'm still somehow able to use the internet.

Here's a picture of the errors: http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9653/networkerrorce9.png

I've had these problems for a few weeks, and I'm not exactly sure what created them, but it may have happened when I installed a second harddrive or when I replaced my motherboard.

Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

Some reading here not sure if it's relative
Mark
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892199
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 majinbejitto

majinbejitto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both methods on the first site, but it didn't do anything.
With the method from the second site, when I typed "netsh Winsock reset" in CMD, an error message popped up and said that "netshell.dll" was not found. On the CMD window, it also said that the helper DLL's "IFMON.DLL" and "HNETMON.DLL" cannot be loaded, and the command "Winsock reset" was not found.

#4 majinbejitto

majinbejitto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

I think that if you run the System File Checker (SFC) this will replace the netshell.dll file (and any other damaged or missing system files). You will need your XP CD or have the i386 directory on your hard drive to be able to run SFC.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi majinbejitto. You may run into problems running SFC.

Why You May Not Be Able To Run SFC or Do a Repair Install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users