Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Wireless Adapter Or Modem/router Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:14 AM

I just received a new Speedstream 6520 dsl modem which has a wireless g router built in.

My laptop has had no problems with this new connection.

My pc has a dlink usb wireless g network adapter that was working fine with my old modem, router combination.

Now, no matter what I do, the pc connects and disconnects repeatedly to the modem - about every 45 seconds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 4play

4play

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'm kinda having the same problems and the tech support guys are saying that the problem is not with the hardware or the software of the components? Did you ever figure out what to do about it?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

Try copying your MAC address from your working computer to the non working computer. Some ISP's allow you to build your home network with routers but it requires all the MAC address's to match. First you need to look up the MAC address on the computer connected to the internet. Here is a tutorial MAC Adress. Once you know the MAC address of the connected computer you can copy it to the other computers on the net work. This Tutorial Will tell you how to change it. Save the changes and reboot. Go back into IPCONFIG /ALL and check the address to make sure they match. This should resolve your problem.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 September 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users