Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Correct Voltage For My Ram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:55 AM

There is a performance booster zone in the bios and I see that my ram is set to 2.72V. It gives me a choice of 2.66, 2.72 2.82, and 2.93. I have corsair value select that is listed as 2.5V on the newegg spec sheet for this ram. I also have the generic ram that came with the system new. Two sticks of each. I have run prime95 torture test for about 6 hours and have no errors. My son needs this unit for college by sunday and I just want to make sure I have it running stable as the campus is a long drive from home. My cpu core V. is set to default and cpu freq. is 200. I am not getting into the dram configuration as the website wll help me there. When I fired up the new motherboard these settings were already set as default however as I read the manual -what little there was of it- the manual listed other settings that did not match my settings for default. This makes life confusing for a first build but it forces me to learn really quick. I ran prime 95 torture test for 6 hours and it gave no errors. I also monitored voltages and temps using speedfan software and my max temp was 52C in prime95 which is ok. So 2.72V seems to be Ok. I am interested in stability and longevity. I do not want to overclock.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:35 AM

In general, if it runs Prime95 without issues - then it's stable. Are there any other issues that may cause you to suspect the stability. You could lower the RAM voltage to 2.5, but if it's stable without the adjustment I'd leave it as is.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:53 AM

It's not the stability I am worried about. It's high voltage that worries me. The manufacturer's spec. for voltage is 2.5 but my bios only goes as low as 2.66. If you think I am doing no harm at 2.72V then I will leave it at this setting.
Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

Try setting the BIOS to 2.66 to see what happens. Lower voltage "usually" equates to increased longevity in electronic components - but there's a lot of "buts" to go with it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users