Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know What Could Have Gone Wrong Please?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 misty1985

misty1985

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

Someone I know was having major probs with loads of nasties, one which was giving her mega problems with pop ups, the only thing that picked it up was rogue remover, it was called AVSystemcare,

she got told to download stopzilla which she did, but instantly it took away her internet connection. (as far as i know she didnt even run stopzilla) so she went and restarted and the stopzilla thing is there and wont let her close it, now she cant do anything on her computer its stopping it from loading properly.

Has anyone heard of this happening please? I Know its pretty sketchy right now but thats all i know for time being.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

Can she boot in "SAFE MODE"?

If so, download then RogueRemover from another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection, save to a usb stick or CD, transfer it to the infected computer and follow the instructions for running it.

Transfer or copy RogueRemover to the Desktop.
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
  • If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
  • When completed, close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
If she can do this and it helps, then we can work on the Internet connection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 misty1985

misty1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

I Dont think she can run rogue remover, as like i said since she downloaded and installed stopzilla its taken her net access away from her and when she restarted windows stopzilla started to load but when she tried closing it it wouldnt let her, now everytime she boots stopzilla is causing her xp not to load up properly......

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

That's why I'm asking if she can boot in safe mode. I did some research on AVSystemcare at the forum where they created RogueRemover. Apparently, there have been other reports of problems rebooting normally after this infection. However, accessing the machine via safe mode works for some.

If she can boot up that way, she can use another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection to download and save programs which could help fix her system. The link in my previous post points to an instructional guide for using safe mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users