Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Linux Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:16 PM

Well I made a 5gb partition on my hard drive for linux recently. Today I realized it was useless, and I wanted to delete it. So being new to this stuff I thought it would be alright to just delete the partition and reformat it. I restart my computer and the grub loading message still comes up but gives me an error. This is what it says:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

Any way to fix this? I think I can still boot into some live cd's for linux if necessary. Also, I am running windows xp with SP2 and had Freespire Linux.

It won't let me boot into windows or linux and all I can do is get into my bios or boot off a live cd.

Thanks for reading this!

EDIT: I think I should add I don't have a windows disc. Dell never sent one with my computer...

Edited by Sterling14, 31 August 2007 - 06:25 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

You need your XP disk and boot to the recovery console and run fixmbr
Mark

http://www.microsoft.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

EDIT: My friend says he has a windows xp disc. I was wondering if it's ok to not use the one made for my computer? His computer is using windows from that disc though. I wish Dell would of just sent the disc with my computer... Definetly building my next...

Edited by Sterling14, 31 August 2007 - 08:31 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

Ok, Well i found a windows xp disc from my other computer. I'm having troubles now, and was wondering it might be because I have xp SP2 and this disc only has SP1a?

After I get into the recovery console, I type the number (1) and hit enter for admin password because my system doesn't have a password (or does it?). I tried just typing fixmbr and typed y for yes. It said it installed a new mbr. I restart my computer and the boot scren comes up saying boot failed hit f1 to retry or f2 for setup. Now I went back to the recovery console and found my windows partition is on disk 0 partition 2. I've tried fixmbr\device\harddisk0\partition2 (tried with spaces and caps) and it either does nothing or tells me its an invalid command. This is really frustrating me now, I gotta start being more careful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users