Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Connect Printer Via Wired Connection When Computer Already Has Wireless

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDubya

JohnDubya

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

The computer is running WinXP Pro on a wireless connection that connects to our in-office LAN and the internet. It works fine, but we've got a wired printer that we need to use on the network. I tried connecting it via an ethernet cord to the computer and set up the wired port on the computer to be 192.168.0.199 (while the wireless is set up to be 192.168.0.62). I was then able to print to the printer (which is 192.168.0.35). But when I did this, I could no longer access the internet or LAN...I'm assuming because the wired connection was being used as the main to connect to the internet, when the wireless needs to be used as default. How can I set up the wireless connection be used by default but still connect the printer via ethernet to the computer? Is this even possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:45 AM

Are you connecting your Ethernet port on your printer to a router\switch or directly to a computer? If you are connecting to a computer, try plugging into the router\switch instead. If your printer has an ethernet prt then it has a print server built in and does not need to be, or should be, connected to a computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:29 AM

acklans solution is the best if you have access to the router itself (alternatively you could place a switch on the cable between the router and your pc, to have additional ethernet ports connected to the router).

A second (and far less optimal) method is to connect the printer to your pc and share it with other computers on the network. I'm not sure if you can connect via ethernet cable or not by using this method - you may be stuck with usb or parallel cable for that to work, and thats a significantly slower xfer and your pc must remain on.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for your replies!

This is the whole problem that I'm having. The router is downstairs, the printer is upstairs, and it would be next to impossible to run a line down there. So that's why I am stuck trying to connect the printer to the computer with an ethernet cord. It's pretty much my last option, other than sticking a wireless card in the empty slot in the printer. Is that even possible? I saw an empty slot in the back next to the ethernet port. It's a Dell Laser 1720dn.

My biggest question is if it's possible to have a wired connection and a wireless connection running at the same time on a WinXP Pro computer and not have the wired connection interfere with the wireless connection. Because the wireless is what connects to the internet and my office LAN, and the wired only connects to the printer.

Thanks again! I look forward to your reply.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

Also includes parallel and USB ports.

in your case why not just hook it usb and make it a shared printer on the lan until you get a direct cat 5 cable to the router
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

DaChew is correct that printer, the Dell 1720dn laser, comes with a Ethernet, parallel, and USB port. This gives you options. You can add on an aftermarket wireless printer server, or use one of the Ethernet options that does not uses wireless, or involves running wires.
The cheapest and most economic is a aftermarket wireless print server, like the D-Link DP-G310 wireless USB port printer server or the D-Link DP-311P wireless Parallel port printer server.

Other options are PoE (Power over Ethernet), and HPNA (Home PhoneLine Networking). These have relatively low bandwidth compared to T10(10 to 20Mbps) to T100(100 to 200Mbps) but more than adequate for print operations, around 1 to 10Mbps. Both will do what you need, and use existing wiring, either your current telephone lines or your 120v inside power wiring.

How I would approach this would be in the following order.
I would try
1) Either the USB or parallel print server. Since it uses the wireless router you only have to plug into the printer.
2) HPNA. I have used this and have worked on several home that have it and find it a good reasonable option.
3) EoP. While I have not had, hands on, experiences with this technology it has been around a long time and is well accepted as a reliable option.

I have given you several examples but I would recommend you browse the net, including eBay, before you commit yourself. I hope this has been of help to you.

#7 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

Well, I guess I accidentally lied about the model of the printer. I didn't have it by me, so I guessed on the model number. I was wrong. This laser printer is actually the Dell M5200 (4060-0dn) workgroup printer. Now the problem is that I don't see a wireless printer server for this model of printer. What do I need to look into now?

And by the way, we would really like to stay away from the whole USB thing, simply because that computer would have to always be on, so if it's possible to have the printer on the network always, that's how we'd like it.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

something like this might work

In the office, convert your Ethernet-wired printer, scanner, camera, notebook or desktop into a wireless networked device.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

If you would look at the USB print server you would see that you can connect directly to th network instead of running th printer through a computer. The USB is only the interface wit the print server. Read the link is my last post about the USB print server.

#10 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:00 AM

I found this ASUS wireless router with a USB printer server port. Will this work with our network, since this device will need to connect to our wireless router downstairs? In other words, will this wireless router connect to the other wireless router and broadcast the printer on the entire wireless network? Or am I needing specifically just a "dumb" device that connects to the SSID and broadcasts the printer? Sorry, just don't quite understand all of this yet. Thanks for all you guys' help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833320023

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

All you need it a Print Server like in the links I provided for you. There are 15 print servers to choose from on this page.
You do not need another router.

#12 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanks so much for your help acklan! We ended up going with the D-Link DPR-1260 Rangebooster G Multifunction Print Server ( http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16833127074 ). I'll try to remember to come back here and post if it works well, so this topic can help others too. And thanks everyone else for your input as well.

Edited by JohnDubya, 10 September 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

Great. I a glad to see you found a good network solution. I have been using print servers at home for years. Make it so simple and you do not have to leave any sertain computer on to have a network print.
I look forward to you review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users