Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg, Avast And Nis Installed At The Same Time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

I've more or less decided to substitute my NIS 2005. (No problems, but its a bit old now (new definitons)). I've looked at some alternatives and decided upon AVG and Avast when it comes to the antivirus. Before I make the final choice I want to take a look at these programs' options and use them for a while and keep NIS installed. I've got a couple of questions about this.
Will AVG and Avast cause any conflicts with NIS as long as I dont turn on AVG's and Avast's shield/live time protection, but just use them for scaning?
Will it be any problems if I turn of NIS's auto-protect, but keep the other features on, and turn on the shield to one of the others?
Will AVG and Avast turn on the live protection when I install them, and will this cause any problems? Should I turn of NIS's antivirus first?
Is it easy to turn on and of AVG's and Avast's live protection?
Am I free to choose whatever firewall I want in combination with AVG/Avast, or are there any limitations when it comes to this?

I guess I know the answers to questions 1,2, 4 and 5 (no, no, yes and yes), however Im often wrong, so I just wanted to be sure. Anything else I should know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:37 PM

I think your assumptions are correct. Be aware, though, that there is a real possibility that one of the AVs may detect another's definitions as a live virus; looking at the path of the found instance will generally allow you to know whether the file is actually a virus definition or not.

Q3: You should turn off the real time protection running on your "live" AV before turning on the other AVs; as I remember, when you start AVG, live protection is on by default, and I assume the same with Avast.

Personally, if it were me, and I was determined for various reasons to switch from NIS, I would completely uninstall it.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

OK, thanks.

When I started to innstall Avast, I was shown a warning telling me that there would be a conflict with Norton because the innstalling program detected Norton even though it was turned of. I continued and when I was finished I got the message that some of the shields were turned of because it didnt wanna cause any trouble with Norton. Later on I turned off the other shields as well. Looks like it works well.

When it comes to AVG, I coudnt find any shield settings there, but I forgot to check the icon in the system tray, so perhaphs its there. (I uninstalled it). Anyone who knows?

I'll consider to completely remove NIS, however I need to do some firewall reasearch first. Besides, and I know this is a sunk cost that shouldnt affect my desicion, but I've still got some free updates left, dont wanna give them away.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

Dual installation is not always possible because some anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to installation.

Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one antivirus program at a time. See here. Dell Support advises the same for their systems. See here.

Free firewalls:
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
Outpost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Sygate Personal Firewall Free 5.6
Comodo Free Firewall
Kerio Personal Firewall (available in a full and limited free edition)
Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 (last freeware version that was strictly a firewall and not bundled with extra features that hog resources and slow down system performance) - Alternate download (scroll down)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:43 PM

Dual installation is not always possible because some anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to installation.

OK, but when it comes to Avast and NIS and AVG and NIS, none of them insisted. Dont know about Avast and AVG yet. I only run 1 live protection at a time, so there shouldnt be any problems in this area?
Avast didnt detect any of Norton's files during the scan. Havent scanned with Norton yet.

Thanks for the firewall links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users