Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have had an "important" update (KB933360) that showed that it needed to be updated. I tried several times and each time it failed. After three or four attempts, I finally went back through the history and find that it was updated two days agao.

I did a system restore yesterday and wonder if the problem now exists because of a system restore that I did. I don't think it is supposed to.

Has anyone had this happen. Something is corupted in Windows Update and I don't know how to fix it. Thanks for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

it was one of two important updates. I had no problem with either one. Sorry I can't be of more help
Tom

#3 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

I have the same update problem on 5 different updates. I tried 3 different times. Failure each time. I had to contact MS support. This was on 8-28-07. It is a long cmd line process. It might be better to contact MS as my so called fix may not work for you. I use Vista ultimate. I do have the e-mail they sent me. If it is allowed I probably could cut and paste it.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

news4la - you may copy, paste and quote your email
Just remember to remove your own Addy - etc.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

I just finished paying $59.00 yesterday to have MS help me with another problem yesterday. I went ahead and hid the download that wouldn't work. That way I won't try to install (and fail) what I have already installed I am not sure if this is the answer. I wish I could delete failed attempts. I would sure like to hear what usama has to say about this. Not sure how wise it would be to use command prompt entry except I could set a restore point before using it That way if it doesn't work I could go back. I don't mind leaving the one file hidden unless no other files will update. Then I would be willing to try anything.

Thanks for your offer of help.

Does anybody know if using restore points deletes the updates that were done (and installed) after I did the update. Just not sure.

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

You could try to manually download the installation from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360

If you are looking for indepth information regarding your update, try the log file:
c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log (presumably you need admin rights to get to this)

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Thanks JHS Murray. I tried manually installing. Failed. As I said, I've looked all over the internet and can't find an answer. Is it possible that if I delete the file that was installed when I did a system resote that Windows Update would install it now. Not sure if that is possible.

I have noticed that in past months I have had a file that didn't install (failed) and several days later I see that it did install. Just not sure what to do. Any additional ideas would sure help.

I guess it is not a big problem as it is not really affecting the computer (at least not yet!!)

Thanks again for all help.

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Is it possible that if I delete the file that was installed when I did a system resote that Windows Update would install it now.

Hmm not sure if files are installed when you do system restore. If you want to try undoing the system restore, maybe that would work (of course, you run the risk of "un-fixing" other things). You're also going to need the error code itself. Normally you would reference it in your update history (an option on the windows update page); alternatively you could go to your log to find it - the log is less user friendly but has a finer detail that is sometimes required.

I have noticed that in past months I have had a file that didn't install (failed) and several days later I see that it did install. Just not sure what to do. Any additional ideas would sure help.

What was the file? What was the fail message? Was it a Windows file/program, or was it a third party file/program?

btw - was your call to MS related in any way to this problem?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:57 AM

[...]

Does anybody know if using restore points deletes the updates that were done (and installed) after I did the update. Just not sure.

Using a system restore point that was made prior to getting updates (or installing anything, etc.) will 'delete' them. Just a few years ago Microsoft didn't offer most of their updates with the option to remove in Add/Remove. System Restore was all we had to rely on, if an update gave us problems.

But I suppose it's possible some remnants could be left laying around. I'm sure I've had that happen with regular programs, from time to time, if I didn't uninstall them before going back in time. I might still find a folder in Program Files with a log or .dat file, shortcuts were left in the Start Menu. But I think that only happened if I went back several days in time. In addition, the farther back you go, the more chance you have of accumulating renamed files. I just don't like loose ends like that.

Basically, unless you are someone who only uses the computer an hour or two a day for email and a little browsing, I see no reason to keep System Restore points longer than 24-48 hours. Using really old restore points can cause more problems than you started out with.

#10 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

mommabear,

I am sure that is what happened. I went back several days to a time when I knew things were working properly. I guess that is what is now causing the problem. Should I use the history function in Windows Update to delete the update that says is successful and then try to install the update again. Maybe that would eleiminate remnants of the update file. Then I could run Windows Update again and see if the file will download and install?

Thanks for your input.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

Sorry, but I haven't had a failed Windows Update since 2002 - and that one was a video driver! :huh:

I treat Windows Update troubleshooting similar to other installation issues - but don't have the experience to get really in depth with them. So, I don't have anything significant to add at this point - sorry! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

Should I use the history function in Windows Update to delete the update that says is successful and then try to install the update again

I don't know if Windows Update lets you do that. I think that list at Microsoft is just a list, and really does nothing else.

Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries.

This update you are having trouble with is about automatically getting the time-date synchronized. Do you really need it? I don't think it's all that critical for normal users of Windows. You can always manually change your time/date if you notice it's not right.

Edited by mommabear, 01 September 2007 - 07:02 AM.

#13 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:09 AM

Thanks everyone. I think I am just going to leave the update hidden and if and when I need to change the clock settings I will do it myself. Enough of this grief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users