Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vance K

Vance K

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

I got this blue screen once about a week again, and not since. I'm curious if there is a problem I should be worried about.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

Since it hasn't returned, I'd leave well enough alone. If it does come back, please post if there was a filename mentioned in the BSOD. That will help to isolate the driver that's not playing well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Vance, if you don't get a filename for any driver in the BSoD, then don't bother trying to find it. Because if it doesn't list anything, it's solely being caused by a software issue and the dump will be pretty much unreadable.

I have had this problem and all I had to do was find an alternative to AnyDVD.

When you get the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL this is basically what it is

your hardware and sometimes software take up IRQ channels to better communicate, with the proc being the top of the list and your PCI, PCI-e, AGP, RAM coming next. Now, let's say you installed a wireless PCI card and it wanted to take channel 8. BUT, Your GFX card is already using channel 8. Since your adapter wanted to move to channel 8, it abandoned 14. When it was rejected by 8, it couldn't go back to 14 because it wasn't assigned there anymore, so it flips out, keels over, and dies, BSoDing your system.

That's it in a nutshell, as it was explained to me.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:47 AM

IRQ (Interrupt Request) and IRQL (Interrupt Request Level) are similar terms and somewhat related - but you cannot assume that the IRQ is the same thing as the IRQL, because they're not. A read here (if you can stay awake) explains it: http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/documents/irql.htm Basically it states that IRQ is determined by the hardware, while IRQL is determined by Windows.

A memory dump analysis will reveal a lot about what caused a crash, and may be able to lead to a solution faster than normal troubleshooting procedures. The appearance of a filename in the BSOD is a clue. The filename is where the system crashed - NOT what caused the crash. For example, if the BSOD shows nv4disp.dll (an nVidia driver) as the file, then I'd suspect the video drivers. But, if it shows ntoskrnl.exe (an operating system file), then I'd have to suspect another cause (as the OS files are less likely to cause a BSOD than viruses or bad drivers). 2 other things to consider are the actual BSOD error itself, and at what level is the error being generated (with improved communication between Windows, the BIOS and the CPU this is very important)

An example is if your car stops running (that's the computer). If it's because the engine stopped (that's Windows). If the reason for the engine stopping was that the fuel system failed (fuel, air, cooling are the systems as I remember them) - that's where the crash occurred (the filename). Then you've gotta troubleshoot why the fuel system failed (a line was blocked, you ran out of gas, the carburator/fuel injection broke, your gas had water in it, etc).

Now, this being said, if the BSOD occurs at a level that Windows is able to recognize it'll capture the BSOD event in a memory dump file. A memory dump will contain everything that was in memory at the time of the dump and will be roughly equal to the size of your RAM. In a lot of systems tho', the dump file is set for a minidump, which won't contain the entire contents of memory - but will contain enough to do an analysis with the Windows Debugging Tools.

The easiest part of the memory dump analysis is looking for filenames - the harder part (I still can't quite get this part myself) is seeing where the crash occurred in memory and what processes were running just before it occurred.

Locataing files on your system that end in .dmp and .mdmp is the start for analyzing these files. Then, follow this link to analyze them: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74712/how-to-find-bsod-error-messages/ Post the results here for some of us to have a look at and we can proceed from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Vance K

Vance K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Two weeks later and I haven't had it occur again, so I think it's fine. I believe I actually ran a System Restore after it happened, so that might have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users