Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D:\ Drive Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

Recently I wanted to partition my hard drive so I got partition magic 8. It seemed that it didn't work on my laptop running Vista home premium. As I opened partition magic it gave me an error and asked if I wanted to fix my hard drive or something similar, but by accident I press yes 2 times (stupid reflexes) and no after. I never opened "My Computer" window after that and today, after 2 days I did so and noticed that my D:\ drive was gone (D:\ was installed with the laptop). My D:\ drive had 10GB and I'm assuming that it must of been partition magic's wonderful fix on my hard drive or registry. I tried system restore but no luck.
In the control panel I opened the program "Disk Management" and I see this
Posted Image
There's a 10GB on the right and I guess that would be my D:\ drive. I tried "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." but it gave me an error saying operation failed and to refresh or restart program or computer. Tried all that and it didn't work. Is there anyway to fix this?

My specs are:

1.73Ghz core2 duo
2GB RAM
120SATA HD
Vista Home Premium
Toshiba Satellite A200 Pro

I don't know if I should place it in another category. Please move if it is. Sorry if it's wrong.

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

It appears that you've deleted the D: partition. If so, you'll have to use recovery software to try and recover it. Try this free one first: http://www.pcinspector.de although it may not be compatible with Vista at this time (try Run as Administrator and Run as XP SP2).

Edited by usasma, 31 August 2007 - 04:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Deviatorz

Deviatorz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

It looks like I deleted it but I know for sure I didn't delete it. I think it might of been the fix of partitionmagic. Thanks for the reply. Do you or anyone know any software compatible with vista that can recovery it? How about Paragon Partition manager?

#4 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

Have you checked to see if it disabled the drive in the Device Manager? I'd look there, just in case.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#5 Deviatorz

Deviatorz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

Sorry for late reply, but D:\ drive is just a partition of my hard drive so I don't think it I can disable from device manager.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

Along the lines of what USAMA said, you may be able to recover the files on the D: (Now Blank) Partition.

Here is a program that I am starting to experiment with for some data recovery. So far It has found everything I have looked for:

http://www.free-av.com/ (Avira UnErase Personal) The download link is at the bottom of the page.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

If the partition is a recovery partition for your nb, this can only be reinstalled trough the recovery CD's. This CD's will reformat the Hd and will place the recovery partition and all it's components to use uin cases like this. IF you don't have the CD's you can always call your manufacturer's and ask for a copy of them.

If this is a partition you want to make or made in the past for a certain purpose, I will sugest the use partition magic to make it the size you want and reinstall the OS to meet your needs and partitions. Now if you want to litteraly erase everything in your NB's Hd I made a quick search in Google, and found some "freeware" software that can make that for you.

Wipe Hard Drive Freeware

:huh:

Hope it helps.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users