Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Socket 7 Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

have this old IBM computer here and was wondering if upgrading the processor would be worth 5 bucks :thumbsup: . It's an old AMD K6-2 333mhz. Now at my local pawn shop they had quite a few of these socket 7 processors lying around. Now I was wondering if upgrading to a 500mhz AMD processor would be worth the 5 bucks? I know it's really not a big investment at all, but was wondering if there would be a noticeable improvement.

Another option is to go Intel (this socket does work with both intel and amd processors from what I've heard), but they seem to not be as good.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:37 PM

It is worth it for $5, even if just to get to tweak the hardware. I believe you will see a noticeable improvement. How much RAM do you have installed, and how much will it accept?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:56 AM

Make sure of the motherboard's capabilities first - a K6II/333 could be on a 66MHz bus (Socket 7) board. It was a common way to wring the last bit of speed from a 66MHz system. The 500MHz CPU needs a 100MHz bus system (Super Socket 7). Also, if the system is old enough to still be running Windows 95, you'd need to use the AMD 350MHz CPU patch, or go up to Win98. Win95 will have an initialization error with a 500MHz CPU unless the patch is installed first. To complicate matters further, an IBM system may have a BIOS that can only recognise the "official" range of CPUs used in that model. Hope I haven't put you off... :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the replies!

It has 192mb of ram. It has one stick of 64mb and one stick of 256mb, but each slot only detects up to 128mb for a total max of 256mb.

Also, I'll see if I can look up the manual. It's running Windows 98SE, and is from 1998-1999.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

I'd think that it's worth it just for the experience of doing it. After studying and figuring out all the quirks, you'll have a better understanding of it and how computers work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users