Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Click X's, But Won't Close. Also Blank Buttons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ganemede

ganemede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

All of a sudden tonight, my computer won't close programs by clicking on the X. The _ line won't minimize, and the box won't expand.

Also, for some reason, *some* pop-up boxes have blank buttons. i.e. The OK/cancel buttons aren't labled.

I have restarted many times. Run virus software.
*For some reason, I can't get the scan disk to schedule a scan.*
I've searched the internet for someone else that is having the same problem, but apparently it's just me.

The only way to close programs is through task manager, or to use File - close when available, etc.

My mouse is working fine for all other functions.

Anybody got a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

First time I've heard of this. I have gotten error like this when installing a software. Maybe you installed something that gave you this. Check out any software or update that has recently been installed, or try a system restore to a previous date of this occurring, maybe that will fix this.

I once got no properties of my sceeen after installing Nvidia driver (I have XP) but this may be the thing...

Good luck, and keep us posted...

Mav

#3 ganemede

ganemede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Well, if that's the case, then everyone beware. The last thing I did before this happend was try to install a critical update from the HP Total Care Advisor. The first time I tried it failed. It has since installed correctly, but my problem has not gone away. I really think it's the guilty program, because it's the only window I can close.

Edited by ganemede, 31 August 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#4 ganemede

ganemede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:05 AM

Still having trouble. Did a system restore but didn't fix the problem. I got an error message which said Error mouse properties C:/windows/cursor/AERO_up.cur File which contains the alternate select cursor is either missing or corrupt.

Think this is related? and if so know how to fix it? Any information would help.
Thanks

Edited by ganemede, 01 September 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#5 Benny Bolas

Benny Bolas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:58 AM

Do you download/install any "questionable" software? Typically, viruses and malware are the only types of software that routinely accomplish the type of thing that you've described. Try downloading NOD32 (the trial will work fine) and scanning your entire machine (and any attached storage devices) with the "Deep Scan" feature. I will be surprised if it's not virus-related.

#6 ganemede

ganemede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

I installed and ran NOD32 deep scan, and it didn't find anything. I've run Norton and Windows Defender, nothing. And the strange thing is I HAVEN'T downloaded anything suspicious lately. Only system and program updates. If it was a virus, restoring a system backup should have fixed it, right?

#7 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

restoring a system backup should have fixed it, right?

Not necessarily, but a System Recovery will.

This is not the first time I've seen an update from HP Total Care messing things up.

If you think this is a virus activity, get Hijackthis! and post your log in here.

It sounds more like a corrupted user than a virus to me. Try creating another user and see if the issue persist.

This is the first time I've heard of this specific thing happening though. Once I got a person that had a non working keyboard in a laptop with XP, she typed and typed and nothing went to the screen, we created a new user and it was the solution.

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 04 September 2007 - 01:25 AM.

#8 ganemede

ganemede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Creating a new account didn't help. Same problem.

Here's another wierd error message I'm getting.
When I try to open Computer Management, I get an error message that says "Failed to create empty document" and of course the ok button is blank.

I'm about ready to give up. It's a new freaking computer so a system recovery isn't going to lose much.

#9 ganemede

ganemede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:45 PM

System Recovery completed. Computer back to normal.

#10 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

LMAO!!

That always works!!

:huh:

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic