Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop weird, all screens too wide

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

Running W98SE on a Compaq. Just had an "aborted/failed" start for the first time in a long time. Hit the power button again and found myself in safe mode. Did a scan disc (while still in safe) with no problems shown, so did a restart. Came back in normal but found colors @ "high color-16 bit" rather than my normal "true color-32 bit" and all desktop and taskbar icons much larger than normal. I easily reset the color situation but icons remain large and all screens in IE and Firefox are way too wide. Screen area setting is where is normally was: 640x480. I can adjust that to larger numbers and then resize my browser screens using arrows at the margins, but then my desktop is way too small. Also the "use larger icons" box is not checked. I feel silly not knowing how to fix this without help, but here I am.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

Problem now seems resolved. I resized to 800X600 which corrected everything except for the desktop wallpaper size, then restarted and found even that was back to normal. I'll never figure this critter out, but thanks for listening. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

:flowers: Thanks for answering yourself. :thumbsup: This may help someone else. You never know.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users