Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fdc Failure On Start Up! Please Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

leave the case open and try to watch and listen when it tries to boot, watch for slow fans, any unusual noise

nice and clean inside?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

there are no strange noises and cant see anything different apart from the fact that when it tries to start the power and fan u can hear seems to be normal and then nothing happens on my monitor, but after several or more attempts it does go on but wont go any further than the first page it comes up with and thats the fdc failure etc, ............. it wont go onto windows load where the bar goes across before u get to the page where u sign in to who ever s account u are using, for example there are my account and my kids accounts all seperate with seperate passwords ,

#18 TheDoctor

TheDoctor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

I am experiencing the same problem.

When I boot up the pc it comes out with a "CMOS memory size wrong" and/or "CMOS Settings wrong" And/Or "CMOS Battery low" then i press F1 to continue and it pops out a "FDC Failure". Then the pc get stuck and nothing can be done further. When I reset (or power it up again) sometimes it comes out whit 9 beeps or sometimes the monitor keeps being all black and nothing is shown.

The mobo is a M848 rev2.1 Socket A (it's at least 3 years old)

Sometimes windows get running and then it show some problems with FDD (you know the yellow trinagle with an exclamation point in it...), MPU-401 and some "built-in" infrared adapter ( none is installed in the PC !!!). I tried to format the HDD and install XP on it again but the problem hasn't been fixed.

I think the problem is due to a bad BIOS image, and i've tried to find some utility to update it to the latest version.
The problem, here, is that all the tools i've tried are not good for that mobo (the producer seems to be the PCCchips America Inc.) and i did not succeeded in update the BIOS still having the same bugging problem.

If everyone can help me out, thanks in advance,
Ciao

#19 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

First replace the cmos battery, with power off of course,

download the manual
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/...mp;DetailID=251

if this is your motherboard??????????

read the part about the bios and make appropriate changes after setting to default settings

now you need to find out what bios you are running to make sure it's compatible with their latest

Version M848a16
Release Date 2004/10/12

you should see yours at post flash on the screen briefly(I use the pause break key to stop)

Edited by DaChew, 11 September 2007 - 11:52 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users