Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fdc Failure On Start Up! Please Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 satin

satin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

hi there i have a windows xp home edition , and after shutting down pc last night for windows updates to finish i went to restart the pc and it got to the page where i can go to safe mode etc from but on that same page i had an FDC failure press F1 to resume, i pressed F1 and got to a page where i can use safe mode or start from last known wrking configuration etc on it i have pressed all of them to try and get pc going again but its still going back to the original page saying FDC failure etc but inbetween i keep getting no signal box pop up aswell, i have checked all the cables are pushed in right etc, but cant seem to get it fixed,i cant afford to go out and buy a brand new pc with being a single mum and just forked out loads for school uniforms etc, but i do need to get my pc working for the kids for thier homework, i am really hoping someone in here can help me, passed last 2 times when i have tried to start pc up after its been sht down , the pc has taken ages and many starts to get going, but tonights the only night its actually failed to go from this page, i am so annoyed about it all andim hoping that someone will be my knight in shining armour to get this fixed, simple and easy instructions would help me follow any advice, i am a bit slow with fixing pc`s, thanks for readingthis and thanks to those that reply with an answer from satin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Yashiro!!!

Yashiro!!!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hmm aparently Windows got corrupted badly (The only solution that comes to my mind is to boot your comp with the WINXP installation CD (hopefully you have it), and start the recovery console to then go into ms dos and type C:\chkdsk /r

then wait for the whole process to end (takes about 30 mins depending on your comp's specs) then restart and see if you can now boot normally or get in at least in Safe Mode.

Good luck!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

This is your floppy disk controller driver, if you go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, and then device manager you can go down the list of devices until you see floppy disk controller, if you click in the box with the + in it and then right click on the standard floppy disk controller and then properties it will show the status of the device. What does it say for its status, if you look at the top of this page there is a tab titled driver, if you click on this does it show a driver listed there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

IF you read i cannot get to start my pc at all apart from getting to the first page with the fdc error,if I CANNOT GET TO THE DESKOP PAGE OR THE PAGE WHERE I SIGN IN TO GET TO DESKTOP, i can only get to the page where all the info pops up about the pc and that is where the problem lies with the errors,, i am using my friends laptop to try and get help to fix my pc, if i could get onto desktop i would have tried it but sorry your info is useless to me, but thanks for info IF I COULD GET ON TO HE DESKTOP PAGE ............................................

This is your floppy disk controller driver, if you go to your control panel, administrative tools, computer management, and then device manager you can go down the list of devices until you see floppy disk controller, if you click in the box with the + in it and then right click on the standard floppy disk controller and then properties it will show the status of the device. What does it say for its status, if you look at the top of this page there is a tab titled driver, if you click on this does it show a driver listed there

#5 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

hi there unfortunatly i dont have the disc , so looks like basically i`ve lost everything, i did try using another floppy disc drive but to no avail still same problems, could it be the wire/cable or could i just take away the floppy drive i dont want to fiddle too much as i dont really know what im doing and dont want to bugger it up even more, oooooo can i just ask is all pics and letters etc kepted on the hard drive as i was thinking if i could install the hardrive into another pc i could save the pics etc that way, but i dont know how to do that, i think its time i looked into a course in fixig pcs lol... hopefully someone..

Hmm aparently Windows got corrupted badly (The only solution that comes to my mind is to boot your comp with the WINXP installation CD (hopefully you have it), and start the recovery console to then go into ms dos and type C:\chkdsk /r

then wait for the whole process to end (takes about 30 mins depending on your comp's specs) then restart and see if you can now boot normally or get in at least in Safe Mode.

Good luck!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

The FDC failure is a symptom - not a fix. For some reason your system won't recognize the floppy drive - but the floppy isn't essential at this point. The issue is that the system won't boot.

We can troubleshoot this and start trying to figure out what's causing it - but that'll take time and effort on your part. First we'll need to know the answers to a few questions:
1) What make and model of computer is it?
2) Do you have the recovery/restore/reinstallation CD/DVD's for it?
3) Do you have access to a computer that you can download and burn files to a CD/DVD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

my pc was custom built so it has NOT got a name like hewlett packard or dell etc, it is a xp home edition, i dont have the restore discs or any discs for pc as i wasnt given any at the time, the laptop i am using now can burn cd`s but NOT dvds,

i dont care about how long it takes aslong as i can get it working to either just take the info and pictures i need to take off, or to make it work fully all help is fully appreciated

The FDC failure is a symptom - not a fix. For some reason your system won't recognize the floppy drive - but the floppy isn't essential at this point. The issue is that the system won't boot.

We can troubleshoot this and start trying to figure out what's causing it - but that'll take time and effort on your part. First we'll need to know the answers to a few questions:
1) What make and model of computer is it?
2) Do you have the recovery/restore/reinstallation CD/DVD's for it?
3) Do you have access to a computer that you can download and burn files to a CD/DVD?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:22 AM

look inside your computer and identify the motherboard

how old is it?

we might need to go into bios and check some stuff

whoever built that computer should have given you the windows xp cd
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

as far as im aware the motherboard is about 3 years old, i no idea what to look for on the motherboard, all seems fine to me and nothing looks like it could have burnt out etc, and as for bios etc i no idea what to do or look for or what settings should go where and for what, im totally useless with fixing pc`s, the pc was built by i had the pc about august 2004

look inside your computer and identify the motherboard

how old is it?

we might need to go into bios and check some stuff

whoever built that computer should have given you the windows xp cd

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

let's find out what your motherboard is, refer to this example of what to look for on asus motherboards

http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx...SLanguage=en-us

asus, abit, ecs, soyo, msi, etc are all names to look for
Chewy

#11 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

alli can see is a large white number which is ...M848A rev:2.1 and also 1 5 - H16 - 012101

686 AMBIOS C 1999 sd78 5 6 4 3

hope this helps, sorry im hopeless .....

let's find out what your motherboard is, refer to this example of what to look for on asus motherboards

http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx...SLanguage=en-us

asus, abit, ecs, soyo, msi, etc are all names to look for

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...AMD+Motherboard

does it look like this?

pcchips lottery?

Edited by DaChew, 31 August 2007 - 02:58 PM.

Chewy

#13 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

yes but where the white square block is that looks like a stadium there is a fan ......

also a few extra memory stick holders, but yes it is almost exactly like that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...AMD+Motherboard

does it look like this?

pcchips lottery?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

when it first boots up is there an option to press del to go into bios?

had you noticed the computer losing time? clock being off

the motherboard battery may be dying or the motherboard itself?
Chewy

#15 satin

satin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

yes there is a page where like all the info for pc is there giving options for del for coms i think it is and f8 on there etc ... my pc has also had trouble loading up properly passed few times i have tried to turn it on,,, what i mean is i have shut down pc and when i have gone to turn it back on i have had to start it over and over again as green light wont come on the monitor it stays yellow,,,, i have tried with another battery and the last one i tried said the battery was low , put old one back in and it didnt give the error,,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users