Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Retrieve Back The Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sarth4321

sarth4321

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Its really astonishing :flowers: to find out that the files,folders, textpad or anything which is made hidden goes missing permanently.Suppose if I make a folder hidden in my Desktop or any other place then on clicking the refresh button the folder gets hidden.And to make it again appear at the same place we go to TOOLS option,then we check the "SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS" in the View option in TOOLS.Once this setting is applied we again get back the file or folder which we once made it hidden.
But what happens in my laptop is that when I make a file or folder hidden it gets hidden but can't trace back the hidden file/folder thereafter even if I follow the same path described above to get a hidden thing back.
This thing happened only a few days back.Before that it was working fine.
Is it the handicraft of some virus which makes this thing happen or does the virus deletes the hidden files permanently.
Could you suggest me something useful and provide a remedy to this problem :thumbsup: .
I would also be extremely grateful if u could tell me the way for viewing hidden files and folders in command prompt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

Hello sarth4321 and :thumbsup: to BC

Try reading the tutorial found here

If that does not show your missing files, it may be a serious malware(malicious software) infection on your computer.

In that case, read the Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log thread and complete up until Step 9.

Then download the new version of HijackThis from here. Then unzip/extract hijackthis.zip.
If you are unsure how to unzip/extract, a link showing how to can be found by clicking here

Then create a permanent folder and move hijackthis.exe into it. The reason for this is because HijackThis creates backups and they may be deleted they are in a temp-folder.
How to make a permanent folder:
  • Click My Computer, then C:\ and then on Program Files.
  • In the menu bar (2nd bar from the top) select File>New>Folder.
  • That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis".
  • Now you have C:\Program Files\HijackThis. Put your HijackThis.exe there by copying and pasting. I would recommend you create a shortcut for HijackThis for easy access. Just right HijackThis and select create shortcut. Copy and paste that shortcut onto the desktop.
Please be patient, as there are a limited number of helpers and a lot of demand for help. Also, do NOT bump your topic, as the HJT team members work on a first come first serve basis, and if you bump your topic by replying to your thread. If you do so, they will assume someone is already helping you as your thread does not have '0' replies.

If no one replies after 5 days, please post the link to your HijackThis thread in the Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?, Post your link thread

Edited by annabackwards, 07 September 2007 - 02:47 AM.

Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users