Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop:c000021a {fatal System Error}

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

i have seen many posts about this error not just on bc but on many other sites but my problem is a bit different

on the other forums that ive seen people have been getting this error message after changing an option in windows that requires them to reboot but mine isnt like that at all but i should start from the beginning

one day i turned on my computer at first it booted up normally just the way it always did exept when my desktop wallpaper comes up everything stops the computer isnt frozen or anything just nothing happens. so i decided to try task manager and on the current tasks there was nothing so i went to the process tab and all the processes were there but they all showed 0% on the disk usage column, the only one that had a number was system idle process and it was at 99%. i knew i couldent fix the problem withought getting into my computer and even a boot in safe mode did the same thing. so in task manager i selected new task and went to a few different things. i found that using new task to select my computer from deskto brought up my icons and everything went well but is still had to fix the problem. after doing every sing virus scan adware scan spyware scan and whatnot nothing worked at all so i said screw it and i went to pc help and tools in my programs list in the start menu and i selected system recovery because my computer did not come with recovery disks or diskettes. it said that i had to restart my computer so i obliged and when my computer restarted it showed the pc recovery loading screen (its just black with a white status bar) so after that fineshed i saw the HP invent screen with a loading bar wich is the starting of the recovery, but after it fineshed loading i got the bsod wich said

Stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
the system has been shut down.

my system is still usable however to get onto my desktop i still must use task manager and all i want to do is use system recovery

my computer specs are

HP Invent
Microsoft Windows Xp Media Center Edition 2005
i do not have any recovery cd
i do not have a floppy disk drive
i do not have a windows xp install disk
i have service pack 2

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

The error message means that the security of the operating system has been compromised and that it was shut down because security could no longer be guaranteed.

What make and model computer is this?
Do you have a recovery partition on your hard drive?
Have you scanned for viruses or malware?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

im a big noob and i dont know what a recovery partition is but my computer is an HP Pavilion a1540n

as for scanning im scanning right now but there is nothing

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Generally the HP's will have a recovery partition. Also, on your Start Menu there should be an option to make recovery disks (it's in there, you've gotta hunt for it tho') - make them now!!!

What are you scanning with? Is it the anti-virus/anti-spyware that was already installed on the system? If so, there's a possibility that it may be compromised - so I'd suggest a free, online scan as a double check. Here's a nice free one: http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

hey thanks for the site it seems to be really good
i found how to create recovery disks but i need 3 dvd's and i only have two

#6 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

oh and im using norton internet security 2006 (it came with the computer)

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

For the making of the recovery disk set, it is normally found here: Start, All Programs, PC Help and Tools. There is normally an option to make a recovery tools cd, I recommend that this be made also. This is used for force starting the recovery process if the normal menu or {F10} methods do not work . HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

Edited by oldf@rt, 30 August 2007 - 07:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hi twiztidjuggalo666. Every once in a while XP may simply refuse to start up correctly. You are fortunate since you can at least get XP/Explorer to run manually. Try running System restore using the most recent backup just before the problem first appeared.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Maybe you will be lucky. If not, many HPs have a hidden Restore partition on the hard drive. When rebooting there would be a message listed out on the screen just before Windows loads that says something like "Press F12 for System Restore".

"Assuming that the recovery partition is similar to a utility partion on HP servers, this partition contains a custom filesystem that prevents an OS from seeing it as a readable/writeable drive. This way it's far more unlikely for a user or OS to damage the recovery partition or its utilities. When you press "F10" during the boot (or whatever trigger the BIOS requires), you specify to the system that you want to boot off of the utility partition, at which point should allow you to perform any number of recovery options.

If the recovery partition is damaged in any way, the only way to recover it is through the system restore CDs that may or may not come with the machine. Some manufacturors consider this partition the equivalent of the restore CD (its not) and you'll have to download or order them if needed.

It's also been my experience that if you wish to do a fresh install on a machine with a recovery partition, you may need to use the OS recovery utility to get a proper install and prevent the OS from giving C: to the recovery partition instead of your system partition.

Hope this helps."

**** Be sure to read this **** http://digg.com/software/HP_settles_hidden_partition_suit

Apparently HP is being forced to provide recovery discs to those who have only Restore partitions on their HP computer. Read the entire article for details. Verify that you have one of these PCs before demanding discs, though.
______________________-

Also, see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...145#bph07145_cp

HP Pavilions that ship with Windows XP do not always come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. Using a hidden partition provides a convenient, more stable recovery process that eliminates the need for fragile CDs that can become lost.

If you would still like to obtain recovery CDs, HP provides the following options:

Contact HP Customer Care http://productfinder.support.hp.com/tps/ContactHp and order a set of Windows XP recovery discs.

Some HP computers have recovery CD creator software that can create one set of recovery discs. To see if your computer has HP Recovery CD Creator software, click Start, All Programs, Hewlett-Packard, and then HP Pavilion PC Tools. HP PC Recovery CD Creator is listed if the software is available. For more information, read the HP support document Creating Recovery CDs Using HP's Recovery CD Creator Software .

Edited by WinCrazy, 30 August 2007 - 07:23 PM.

#9 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

For the making of the recovery disk set, it is normally found here: Start, All Programs, PC Help and Tools. There is normally an option to make a recovery tools cd, I recommend that this be made also. This is used for force starting the recovery process if the normal menu or {F10} methods do not work . HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP

yeah but i need three blank dvds and i only have 2

#10 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Hi twiztidjuggalo666. Every once in a while XP may simply refuse to start up correctly. You are fortunate since you can at least get XP/Explorer to run manually. Try running System restore using the most recent backup just before the problem first appeared.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Maybe you will be lucky. If not, many HPs have a hidden Restore partition on the hard drive. When rebooting there would be a message listed out on the screen just before Windows loads that says something like "Press F12 for System Restore".

"Assuming that the recovery partition is similar to a utility partion on HP servers, this partition contains a custom filesystem that prevents an OS from seeing it as a readable/writeable drive. This way it's far more unlikely for a user or OS to damage the recovery partition or its utilities. When you press "F10" during the boot (or whatever trigger the BIOS requires), you specify to the system that you want to boot off of the utility partition, at which point should allow you to perform any number of recovery options.

If the recovery partition is damaged in any way, the only way to recover it is through the system restore CDs that may or may not come with the machine. Some manufacturors consider this partition the equivalent of the restore CD (its not) and you'll have to download or order them if needed.

It's also been my experience that if you wish to do a fresh install on a machine with a recovery partition, you may need to use the OS recovery utility to get a proper install and prevent the OS from giving C: to the recovery partition instead of your system partition.

Hope this helps."

**** Be sure to read this **** http://digg.com/software/HP_settles_hidden_partition_suit

Apparently HP is being forced to provide recovery discs to those who have only Restore partitions on their HP computer. Read the entire article for details. Verify that you have one of these PCs before demanding discs, though.

yeah ive tried the system restore but when it fineshes and restarts my computer system restore comes up and in red letters it says
"could not restore to this point no changes have been made"

and ive tried every single restore point and they all did that

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

The recovery Tools CD only needs one blank cd. This will boot the computer and bring up a menu which can run the recovery program on restart.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

The recovery Tools CD only needs one blank cd. This will boot the computer and bring up a menu which can run the recovery program on restart.

i was so close but it needs a blank cd all i have are dvd's

#13 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

well unfortunatly i ran the http://safety.live.com virus scan and when it fineshed it wiped out like 80% of the computer i couldent use the revovery program in pc help and tools i couldent do anything i couldent even use intenet explorer so when i restarted the logon thing came up that said HP_Administrator for username but my dad never set a password so i leave the password area blank and press ok but when i do it says loading personal settings then it says logging off then brings me back to the logon screen and it even does that when i try to load in safe mode so now i cant do anything at all because even if i could get on i lost the ability to make a recovery disk it made me loose outlook express so my dad lost all his important emails and everything it totally screwed me over. so what should i do now

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

Since you don't have recovery CD/DVD's and the system is in trouble - your only recourse is to start a System Recovery by pressing F12 when prompted during the first part of the boot up process

#15 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Since you don't have recovery CD/DVD's and the system is in trouble - your only recourse is to start a System Recovery by pressing F12 when prompted during the first part of the boot up process

f12 i thought i needed f10

and when i use f10 even now i still get the bsod with the stop error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users