Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Shutting Down Upon Booting, Can't Access Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikeem182

mikeem182

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys I was wondering if any tech support people could help me out.

I've been having a lot of problems with my laptop. It's an HP Pavilion dv2120us notebook with Windows XP media center edition SP2. I have three problems, I have no idea whether they are related or not.

1) The first problem is when Windows starts, after a few seconds I get this:

Services and Controller app has encountered a problem and needs to close.

The error signature contains this information:

szAppName: services.exe szAppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
sZModName: services.exe szModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 offset: 00008e40

Also, "technical information about the error report" lists the following files:

C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WERfdab.dir00\services.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WERfdab.dir00\appcompat.txt

After 10 or so seconds, NT System Authority initiates a 1 minute countdown before automatic shutdown stating:

The system process C:\Windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code-1073741819. The system will now shut down and restart.

I must also note that this problem does not always occur. It seems to come and go. Which makes the problem even more confusing to me.

2) The second problem is I can't access the internet with Microsoft IE nor the Netscape browser. When I open the browsers I get a "cannot find page" message. This is true whether I am connected through my wireless network connection or my Local Area Connection. I checked the network adapters with device manager and they are working properly. I was advised to see if my firewall was blocking ports that I needed to access the internet. This led to the third problem.

3) When I try to access Windows Firewall I get this meesage:

"Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing (ICS) service?"

I then click YES and get the following message:

"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service."

I cannot help but think that all these problems may be related but the bottom line is I have no idea whats going on. The laptop is not more than 6 months old.

I have posted the Hijack This log from my infected laptop for analyzing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:29:31 PM, on 8/30/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Vongo\VongoService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files\BellSouthWCC\McciTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\BellSouth\Alert Manager\BellSouthAlertManager.exe
C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\iprntctl.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Pavilion Webcam\HPWebcam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqimzone.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\Shared\HPQTOA~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
E:\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...n&pf=laptop
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ufl.edu/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...n&pf=laptop
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: BellSouth Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-8CBD-FD60BB9AAE2E} - C:\PROGRA~1\BLSTOO~1\BLSTOO~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Scriptcl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: BellSouth Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-8CBD-FD60BB9AAE2E} - C:\PROGRA~1\BLSTOO~1\BLSTOO~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MsmqIntCert] regsvr32 /s mqrt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecGuard] C:\Windows\SMINST\RecGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Windows\CREATOR\Remind_XP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BellSouthWCC_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\BellSouthWCC\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BellSouthAlertManager.exe] C:\Program Files\BellSouth\Alert Manager\BellSouthAlertManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iPrint Tray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\iprntctl.exe TRAY_ICON
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\UdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Vongo Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Vongo\Tray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Pavilion Webcam Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Pavilion Webcam\HPWebcam.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Photosmart Premier Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=64&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O23 - Service: AddFiltr - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\AddFiltr.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Manager (McTaskManager) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: Vongo Service - Starz Entertainment Group LLC - C:\Program Files\Vongo\VongoService.exe

--
End of file - 9126 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hi Mikeem182,

Sorry for the delay, this forum is very busy.

There are a couple of different rootkits that can be responsible for this error (problem #1) and we need to run some checks for them. However, before we start with that I want to warn you that rootkit scanners can sometimes cause instability in a system, and yours is already unstable. So before you do the scans, please make backups of any data that you cannot afford to lose.

Sorry if this is alarming. I am not sure that you have a rootkit, but if you do, I want you to be prepared.

I see you ran HijackThis from your CDROM drive. You will need to download the tools I will mention on a working computer and burn them to CD just as you did with HJT. However please copy them from the disk to the desktop of your machine before running them. When the scans are done, you will have to copy the logfiles to disk in order to post them back here. What follows is a canned speech so be aware of these added steps which are not mentioned in it.

Download AVG AntiRootkit and save to your desktop
1. Double click avgarkt-setup-1.1.0.42.exe to install. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\GRISOFT\AVG Anti-Rootkit.
2. Accept the license and follow the prompts to install.
3. You will be asked to reboot to finish the installation so click "Finish".
4. After rebooting, double-click the icon for AVG Anti-Rootkit on your desktop.
5. You will see a window with four buttons at the bottom.
6. Click "Search For Rootkits" and the scan will begin.
7. You will see the progress bar moving from left to right. The scan will take some so be patient and let it finish.
8. When the scan has finished, a small window will open so you can view the results.
9. Right click and select "Save Result To File".
10. By default the file will be saved with a .csv extension. (You can use notepad to open the .cvs file). Copy and paste the results in your next reply.
11. If anything was found, click "Remove selected items"
12. If nothing was found, please click the "Perform in-depth Search" saving anything found to file as before.

Then download rootchk.exe to your desktop:
1. Double-click on rootchk.exe to run the program.
2. A command prompt window will open as the scan begins and then close.
3. When the scan is completed, a logfile named rootlog.txt will open and be saved to the root directory usually C:\.
4. Copy and paste the contents of the log into your next reply.

Note: To avoid false positives, please disable any active protection like realtime scanners or firewalls which may interfere. Re-enable them when done. This means McAfee in your case.

I also would like you to install HijackThis directly on your machine. This is another canned speech so again you will have to do extra steps.

Click here and download the HijackThis installation file to your desktop.

To use HijackThis, double-click on the icon. When it runs it will prompt you to extract hijackthis.exe to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis. If you would like to extract it to another location you can change the directory. When it is done installing, HijackThis will automatically launch. When the license agreement appears, select I accept and then click on the Do a system scan only button. When the scan is complete, click on the Save Log button to create a log of your information.

Please post the logs from the rootkit scans and the fresh HJT scan to your next reply.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users