Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Se Personal And Ad-aware 2007 Free

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

I am sorry if this question has been asked but I am unable to find an answer so far. So what I am very curious about is what exactly is the difference between Ad-Aware SE Personal and Ad-Aware 2007 Free? And why does bleepingcomputer.com link you to the Ad-Aware SE Personal while going directly to Lavasoft you are directed to download Ad-Aware 2007 Free and can't even download the SE Personal version unless it is Enterprise. But then the link from bleepingcomputer does take you to a place ON the Lavasoft website that does offer the SE Personal version. Very confusing! :flowers:

Any answers or links to a previously answered thread would be most helpful and much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Edited by McGhee, 30 August 2007 - 02:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

What's New in Ad-Aware 2007 Free?

The new version is much larger in size (18,694 KB). It has a new look but doesn't seem to offer much in major improvements.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

When you download 2007, you are not only downloading the free modules, or parts, of Ad-Aware, but also the additional enhancements available if you choose to purchase them; this is helpful to those who would want the additional features since it saves them from downloading and installing the additional parts, but not so to those who only want the free features. Ad-Aware SE is the older version, which does not include the software for the additional features, and does not include any of the changes to the software engine made with 2007. As far as I know, the older software is still being supported by the company and updates are still being provided for it.

If you can provide a link to the post that contains the confusion, we can review it and make the necessary updates to the links.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 31 August 2007 - 06:13 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:39 AM

As far as I know, the older software is still being supported by the company and updates are still being provided for it.

I'm still using Ad-Aware SE and can confirm that updates are still being provided at present.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

you may find the third entry on this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90437/ad-aware-tutorial/

helpful

as you say, and as I too discovered, the links ARE incorrect;

the MAIN operating 'difference', is that adaware 2007 is NOT compatible with win 98se NOR with vista; I have also seen around many who are dissatisfied WITH adaware 2007 and who are reverting back to adaware se 2006 ;problem is the threat of withdrawing support FOR adaware 2006 but as yet no on seems to know when that will happen; when it does some of us will have to abandon adaware and find a suitable alternative :thumbsup:

does this help?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

when it does some of us will have to abandon adaware and find a suitable alternative

There already is an alternative: SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

when it does some of us will have to abandon adaware and find a suitable alternative

There already is an alternative: SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

already got that ,thanks :thumbsup:
it seems very thorough too :flowers:

#8 McGhee

McGhee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. I thought that I found that link to Ad-Aware SE Personal in the tutorial, can't remember because I have been so many places on this website that I can't keep track now.

The reason I was curious in the first place about the difference though is because I have seen a lot of posts where users are saying they aren't very fond of the 2007 version compared to the SE version and don't use it. I read that it is still a bit buggy. So I don't want buggy on my system, I want GOOD! I also changed from IE Explorer to Firefox and will see how that goes. I changed it on all four of my computers, the one my husband uses, and the two that the kids use. They are notorious accidental spyware downloaders! JEEZE! :flowers: But my husband's computer, which is an HP and has all the crap that HP puts on their system when they load up Windows, seems to have the most problems. My computer and one of the kid's computers are custom built and one was an eMachine that I put a new hard drive in and reloaded Windows XP instead of Home edition. Works much better now although I need more memory in that thing.

Thanks again for the help! :thumbsup:

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

to sidetrack a bit; do their HP computers come pre-loaded with Norton ?

and from where I have been , NO ONE really likes or gets on with adaware 2007 and many have reverted to the adaware se :flowers:

finding a valid link FOR adaware se EXE is becoming difficult so grab what you can where you can and save the exe on your comp :thumbsup:

#10 McGhee

McGhee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

That is what I did with the SE download...saved the file for good. :thumbsup:

The HP computer did originally come with Norton and I uninstalled it but I know, as with McAffee they always leave traces all over the place. Like AOHELL does. :flowers: My husband did "something" to his computer about 6 months ago and basically deleted a bunch of things he shouldn't have and low and behold his computer barely worked right after that. I had to do a recover on the system, which they have in a separate partition the hard drive. It of course reinstalled all the CRAP again so I had to do a lot of uninstalling once again. It is running very nice now but still gets more than its share of spyware on it. I put Firefox on everyone's computers today finally. I am looking forward to seeing if after this weekend and heavy computer use with the kids if there will be as much this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users