Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express- Can't Even Export!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LTJLily17

LTJLily17

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

On an XP Home with SP2, we have been having issues with Outlook Express 6 for months. It is my boss's computer, and most of her issues are that when she clicks on anything in Outlook it seems to forget about it. She clicks on the Create Button, and her cursor turns to an hourglass, but then does nothing- eventually returning to her normal cursor. She has also been having recieving issues. I have personally sent an email to her account in which she never recieved.

A lot of times, the application just locks up, and has to be shutdown in the task manager. I received the following today when notified of the error report:

szappname : msimn.exe szappver : 6.0.2900.2180 szmodname : hungapp szmodver : 0.0.0.0 offset 00000000

There was also a box that had the errors in it:

c:\docume~1\chris\locals~1\temp\WER9385.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp
and
" "\appcompat.txt

I looked in the folder, and couldn't even find the WER9385 folder, but several with different numbers. Most of them contained the files msimn.exe.hdmp and msimn.exe.mdmp.

So I decided to export the address book and messages so I wouldn't lose any information when trying to figure out the problem. The exporting of the address book went fine, but when I tried to export the messages, I got this error:

The export could not be performed. Your default MAPI store could not be opened.

I have very little knowledge of anything to with outlook.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer LTJLily17. :thumbsup:

With multiple problems like you have explained, why don't we start with An Outlook Express Basic Repair.

Also have a look at The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption, especially the section called "The Show-Stopper: Folders.dbx".
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for responding to my problem!

I tried to compact the folders several times, and everytime Outlook hangs. I tried doing it folder by folder with the same results. I would restart and try it again, all in all, about 15 times.

I would like to backup any important emails at this point, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what she needs to keep. I will try some of the other suggestions on those links then.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

#4 LTJLily17

LTJLily17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

The problem is solved!

After waiting a very long time (due to the extended holiday weekend), I backed up the necessary items, and tried more of the tips from the links.

I ended up renaming the inbox.dbx file so Outlook would create a new one, and was able to then compact everything else.

Thank you very much for the help, and knowing where to find those links!

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

Good to hear you've solved this problem LTJLily17. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner