Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Permanently Delete Dial-up Username/password?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

They're finally sending me a new replacement laptop (Take 2!), so I'm finally sending back the replacement laptop they sent me (since it was defective -- see my other thread for details), but I need to quickly prep it before I send it back.

I changed the computer name, and I looked up how to change the registry so I can remove my "Registered to" name. I'm also going to uninstall AVG A/V Free and ZA Free 6.5.737 since they both have "Registered to" names listed as well. I didn't really put anything else (files, etc.) on the computer.

However, I did set up my dial-up with my username/password on it, so I need to completely remove that. But I can't find anything on how to do that. Do I just right-click on the dial-up listing in Network Connections and choose "delete"? Or is there something else I need to do in the registry instead or in addition to that? Or something else entirely? (Something to do with .pwl files? I saw mention of that somewhere, but not sure if that's for XP Pro or what it is, etc.)

Please note: This machine is XP Pro SP2.

I need to get this sent back, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

Just use the {F10} key at startup to do a restore,
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

I was hoping not to have to restore, just because I wanted to send them the computer back in basically the same "state" as it is now, since I know the problem is happening now. Plus, when I was doing the initial "clean-up", I'm almost positive I removed any old restore points at that point, and I can't remember if I had already entered my dial-up info yet or not. Or is the restore point different from restoring from the D: Partition?

I just realized that if I don't do a restore, my info will probably be somewhere on the D: Partition, right? Ugh...

I don't want to mess with the recovery discs -- I'd rather return them unopened (and I don't want to spend the time restoring that way, as I'm guessing it's a process).

And I'd rather not do anything that could end up causing more problems that I'd have to deal with if I don't get my password info off there prior to a problem happening...

Does that make sense? I can always change my password, but I'd still like to remove the info from the computer...

Let me know what you think... Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 30 August 2007 - 03:04 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:18 PM

go to internet options
connections tab
highlite dialup
click remove

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

go to internet options
connections tab
highlite dialup
click remove

I had already went to Network Connections and right-clicked the dial-up one and chose "delete". But I went and checked where you said to go above, and there is nothing listed now. So I'm guessing that did the same thing?

So what I did:

* Uninstalled AVG and ZA
* Network Connections and right-clicked the dial-up one and chose "delete" to get rid of dial-up connection (username/password)
* Created new generic Admin User account and then logged onto that and deleted my user account
* Went to System > System Restore tab and checked "turn off system restore" then unchecked it (thus removing any restore points).
* Turned off computer

Should I be good to go from that list to send it back relatively safe/clean?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 30 August 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#6 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

That all sounds good to me but, if you run regedit then enter Ctrl + F the registry search mode will appear, ( as you probably are aware ). In the search box, first try entering your user name, click on search. Following that try entering your e-mail address, you may be suprised what turns up..

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

That all sounds good to me but, if you run regedit then enter Ctrl + F the registry search mode will appear, ( as you probably are aware ). In the search box, first try entering your user name, click on search. Following that try entering your e-mail address, you may be suprised what turns up..

Thanks for the tip! I just tried it and looks like I'm all clear. I think deleting my user account probably took care of that. (?)

:thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 30 August 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

yea its deleted
double check
start...connect to
or control panel
click on network connections