Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Setting Up A Small Office Infrastructure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDubya

JohnDubya

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'll start by explaining how our network is set up.

We have a cable connection coming into our office building. I have an ethernet cable connecting from the cable modem box to our wired router (Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS318). We have a static IP through our internet provider, so I've set up the FVS to that number, and I've set the DNS numbers that we were given.

Then, we have an in-office Windows Server 2003 SP2 server. There are two NIC's in it: one set up as 192.168.0.4 that does DHCP, connects our computers to the Exchange server, etc...and one set up as 192.168.0.2 that is set up to be the middleman between the FVS and the server. On the FVS, we have HTTP forwarded to 192.168.0.2, and the Win2003 server picks that up and offers remote web access from the internet through our static IP.

We also just purchased a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Broadband Router. I connected an ethernet cord from the FVS to the internet port of the WRT, but no computers that connected to the WRT, either by wireless or wired, could access anything beyond the WRT. It's as if there is no connection between the FVS and the WRT, even though the cord was connected. I then proceeded to put that in-between cord into one of the LAN ports of the WRT. I then set up the computers trying to connect through the WRT to use the gateway 192.168.0.4, and suddenly, things started working.

So, the network works, but I'm sure I'm doing it the hard way. Why can't the WRT connect to the FVS when I connect the cord coming from the FVS to the WRT's internet port? Are there some settings somewhere that I'm missing? Any other comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

In general, you'll have to setup the wireless router as an access point. Here's a link on how to do it with the Netgear WGR614 - but it works with others: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp

The main points are:
1) Connect a port on the FVS to a port on the wireless router - don't use the WAN port
2) Disable DHCP on the wireless router
3) Assign a static IP address to the wireless router that's outside of the range of IP address' assigned by the DHCP in the FVS
4) All this has to be done with wires until the setup is complete - then you can use the wireless.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JohnDubya

JohnDubya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Ok, let's throw something else in the mix that has been confusing me.

Our server that is connected to the FVS router is the DHCP server on our network. So neither the FVS or the wireless router do the DHCP. And last night, I was leaving the FVS and wireless router with the DHCP disabled, like we need. But when the computers would try to connect to the wireless router, they couldn't get to the DHCP for some reason. Is there some setting on the FVS or wireless router that needs to be set to allow the devices to send DHCP requests to our server (192.168.0.4)? That is the biggest problem I'm having now. When I set the IP addresses to manual in the 192.168.0.* range, it all works fine (with the gateway being 192.168.0.4). Just not DHCP.

[edit: I see from the site you gave me that sometimes, DHCP can't find it's way through the network configuration. You think that's my problem? Also, all of our computers logon through our Windows Server 2003 server, and it's currently set up as the DHCP server. Would it harm our network to use the FVS as the DHCP server? Would that mess anything up?]

Thanks for your help!

Edited by JohnDubya, 31 August 2007 - 02:21 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

By hooking the wireless router to the FVS through the internal ports - rather than using the WAN ports - the FVS will recognize the wireless as another device on the network.

I'd also suspect that this has something to do with how you do DNS - do you have your own DNS server also? (Basic Settings on the FVS interface). Also, in the LAN Setup screen of the FVS you can specify a DHCP server for the router to use (and, based on my first sentence, I'd think that the wireless router (now functioning as an access point) would do it's DHCP resolution according to that.

All that being said, I don't have any familiarity with Windows Server OS's - I'm primarily a home networking sort.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users