Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Is Stuttering When Playing Back

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ravie13

Ravie13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:00 AM

My audio (when playing CDs or MP3's on the computer) seems to be stuttering and skipping. I've googled this and found all sorts of results regarding overclocking or PCI Latency Timers and I have NO IDEA what these things mean or how to deal with them.

I've removed all AdWare and scanned for viruses - nothing. I've defragged the hard drive. I've checked on the sound card driver - that seems to be up to date (or at least the automatic driver search couldn't find anything better).

Any advice? I use this system for audio and video editing so it's a pretty vital issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:42 AM

Stuttering in any one specific program? or a whole range.

I know quicktime player stutters for me unbearable until I scrub through it enough so that it streams properly.

#3 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

A whole range of programs. I only notice that the audio is stuttering when playing (mp3's in winamp or iTunes or CD's in the cd drive/Windows Media Player, etc.) but it might be that the whole system is stuttering. ?? I pull up the task manager and watch the CPU Usage jump from about 7% to 22% and back whenever there is a "stutter".

#4 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:45 AM

Can you elaborate on stutter?

Is it a constant stutter? or just a stutter at the start.

If it's just the start, it could just be your mp3 player hogging memory when it calls for the file.

22% usage shouldn't cause too much problem.

You might want to re-download your audio drivers, and see if that makes a difference. Just find your type of speakers, or make, mine are AC'97, so i would look for the RealTek AC'97 audio drivers, or something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users