Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer hangs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robinofnotts

robinofnotts

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

In windows when I right-click on any file type (.txt, .doc, .mp3, .avi, .mpg, .jpg...), but not folders or applications (.exe files), there is a pause of about 20 seconds where the explorer window crashes completely, or the task-bar crashes if it was in the start-menu, before showing the context menu. However everything else continues running smoothly which suggests that it is not in fact monopolising the CPU - plus there is no unusual activity in Task Manager.

The relevent section of windows also crashes temporarily if I open these files. This occurs when I try to run them from explorer or the start menu or other windows locations, but not when I try to import a file into a program from the program itself. For example, if I drag and drop an mp3 file into my winamp (being the program associated with mp3 files) playlist it adds it without delay and plays it fine, but if i double-click on the mp3 file in windows then I get the pause.

I searched on google for pages referring to explorer hanging and I found several suggestions. They mostly involved badly programmed context menu extensions (particularly DivX and SpySweeper), so I downloaded ShellExView which multiple websites suggested, but when I had used it to disable all non-microsoft extensions the problem hadn't changed.
I also ran System File Checker (Run --> 'Sfc /scannow' ) but it found no corrupt files.

In all other respects my computer runs very smoothly. And I am pretty sure that my computer is at present free from all spyware and viruses, having run multiple programs and inspected the registry and the running processes thoroughly. I have SP2 installed, and all updates.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Robin

Edited by robinofnotts, 04 February 2005 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:08 PM

Some of these fixes that reset the associations for filetypes may help:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

When was the last time you defragged?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 slagtime

slagtime

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

I am having the same issues! But they are associated with my video files. It is isolated in the target video folder on my second hard drive! Everything else runs great, except this folder.

I have made a connection to downloaded sound files, ie. star wars sounds I found on the net and the video I have produced with Premier Pro 1.5.
Everything was fine till I created an .avi file with the sound files, now as you said when I open my video folder, after right clicking or waiting 10 seconds or so, it freezes up and I have to ctrl-alt-del to end it! :flowers:
I erased the created .avi, and now the folder stays open a little longer but still hangs up. This has happened before, so I am seeing how it happens. Maybe you downloaded too, and then created a new file? As this is how it happens for me. I am searching for a cure for this bug too. That's what brought me here!

As for fraggin' I just formatted and started new last week from the last episode.

HELP!

Also, the last time this happened to me, When I opened task manager, in the processes, IE was running when the folder stopped responding. When I ended the IE application, as I never started it, my whole desktop was cleared, leaving only the background pic. I would have to manually turn off the computer :thumbsup:
Reboot with no trouble till I opened the said folder again. :trumpet:

Edited by slagtime, 07 February 2005 - 03:01 PM.

#5 robinofnotts

robinofnotts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:41 PM

I have actually now solved this problem. My computer decided yesterday that it would refuse to load windows properly. It wouldn't get past the login screen. So I used my bootable XP cd to "repair" the installation, which I think means reinstalling all the basic XP files and registry entries while leaving any updates and stuff intact.

That fixed it: windows loads and I no longer have the problem. I think perhaps that means that if I had reset the associations for the basic file types then it would have fixed it, as re-installing windows probably did just that.

I don't know what to suggest about the problem with the .avi files in that folder. If it's still isolated to that folder I would suggest that there is still a file in that folder which is suspect. Lots of people seem to have had this problem where it was isolated to .avi file types. As it all seems to have started when you created this file, it doesn't seem like it could be connected to context menus but it could be.
Try making sure you have the latest version of DivX. If that doesn't help then maybe it's something to do with Premier Pro 1.5?

You could try using ShellExView (see link in my initial post) to isolate context menus to try and see if it's anything to do with that.

Hope you sort it out.
Robin

#6 slagtime

slagtime

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

Well, I think I fixed things.....as well as messed some other stuff up! :thumbsup:

I used the link by google here to load reg mechanic and it did a scan, showed something like 544 errors!!?? Mostly broken links for uninstalled programs.
Anyways checked thru them and found some related to media player and deleted them..... as well as most of what else it said to delete.
Rebooted...no more MMJB, nothing was running on start up, but no more hang ups with the folder! :flowers: wheww!
Just thought I would let you know. But man, deleting registry entries like that, I am like a blind man! Have no clue except what I think it is telling me to do. :trumpet:

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

Glad it all worked out! But your right...messing with the registry can be a bit scary

#8 robinofnotts

robinofnotts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:24 AM

I think what screwed me over in the first place was Blaze DVD. Just for anyone referring to this thread with the same problem.
After I repaired windows and everything was fine I re-installed BlazeDVD and it started again.

*update*
Yep, I uninstalled BlazeDVD and it fixed it straight away, so that was definately the problem. I have also had a report from someone else using BlazeDVD that he had the same problem. So beware Blaze DVD.

Edited by robinofnotts, 15 February 2005 - 11:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users