Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Takes 5 Or More Tries Before It Boots

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ravie13

Ravie13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:49 AM

I have a Thermaltake Matrix VX case and I'm running Windows XP Professional. I have a dual monitors and a RAID. My computer is used primarily for web design (audio & video editing, photshop, illustrator, etc.). My computer was built by PC CLUB.

With that in mind I'm having a problem and I don't know if I'm making a stupid mistake or if there is something wrong.

When I power on my machine - it doesn't turn on. It's almost like turning a key in a car and having the ignition not catch. The power to the case is obviously on (the lights and fans turn on) but the hard drive doesn't boot. No signal is sent to the monitors or the the external USB hub and they go to sleep. I push the power button again (to turn it off) and then again (to turn it on). I usually have to go through this button pushing 5 or more times before the machine finally "catches" and turns on. Then it's fine.

Lately I've been putting it in Stand By to avoid this problem and this usually works except that 50% of the time when starting up from stand by the machine has a system error and restarts itself (and sends data to Microsoft).

The reason I mention the case (the Thermaltake Matrix VX) is because it has two buttons on the front. I ASSUME the big one is the power button but I don't actually know which button is which. And I don't really know what the second button is for. Sometimes when trying to start the computer (and I'm having the problem) I try pushing the other button on or pushing it off. (When it's "on" a little red light appears.)

This is the description of the case that I was able to find online: http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis...3000_index.asp#

But I can't find any documentation (online or in the papers that came with my system) that say what this second button is. My best guess is that it is a Reset button.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:09 AM

Your assumption is correct one is a hard power button one is a reset button. Your power supply may be failing if you can try a different one thats where I would start. I don't beleive it is the power switch since it seemingly turns on just not all the way. What all is installed in the computer and what size is the power supply. The computer club may have chosen one that is too small or one that was just right and you added something.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

I hope the power supply is not a powmax, cheap crappy brand that they stock. If the computer is still under warranty, I would have them check it out, if it's conventient.

More details please?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have no idea what kind of power supply is installed or how to check it. Any guidance there? I haven't installed any devices (unless a USB hub counts but I had the problem before the hub was plugged in) that I can think of since they set it up.

What it has is a RAID hard drive setup, tv card, video card for 2 monitors, IEEE card, ethernet card, floppy drive and multi-card reader drive, DVD/CD Lightscribe burner and CD/DVD drive. I also have my Palm computer cradle, a fingerprint reader and my ipod plugged in. Thinking that it might be a "not enough power issue" I have previously tried unplugging everything (the monitors, the usb hub, the ipod, the fingerprint reader, the palm cradle) and just tried turning it on (with only the stuff IN the computer still attached) and it still had the problem.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have no idea what kind of power supply is installed or how to check it.

pull the left side off and look inside

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...k+Computer+Case
Chewy

#6 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:29 AM

It appears to be "PS Athena 550W 24pin PCI Exp+SLI V2" if that makes any sense to you.

Update: Today I finally had the opportunity to take it in to be checked out. OF COURSE it turned on with no problems for the technician so he suggested (mostly he looked at me like I was an idiot) that it might be my surge suppressor.

But when I got the computer home - now it'll boot up but I get the "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" error message.

Geez. Does one have to do with the other? I can only assume that it does since the only thing this computer has been doing today is turning on and off.

On another note... WHAT DO I DO NOW?

It's telling me to boot from the Windows Setup CD but I don't know how to boot from a CD.

#7 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:37 AM

This is what my receipt for the system says:
Enpower Non-Mx Series
En-400, Enpower Intel V-Pro Workstat
Enpower Workstation Pro-400
On-Board Sound Card
On-Board Network
Rounded Floppy cable 18' Blue
Rounded UATA 133 2DVS 24" Blue
FD Mitsumi Floppy 1.44MB 3-1/2" BLA
CPU Cooler CM Intel 775 Silent CI59
Card Reader 9In1 Int Vantec UGT-CR9
Liteon 16X DVD-ROM LH-16D1P-187 Bl
DVDRW, HP 20x20 DVDRW W/LS Black
Case TT Matrix VX Win No PS BK VD30
PS Athena 550W 24Pin PCI Exp+SLI V2
Mem Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G DDR2 1GB (x4)
Hauppauge 1181 Canada Only WinTV HV
HDD WD 3.5" 500G 7200RPM SATA WD500 (x2)
MS Win XP Pro W/CD & Media DSP SP
M/B, ABIT AB9 Pro P965 Conroe Dual
CPU, Intel C2D E6600 2.40 S775 OEM 1624a784
VGA, GF7950GT EVGA 512M PCIE HDTV
LCD 19" WIDE SVA 700:1 BK 8MS 900W
SPKR, Logitech Z4

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

did you use the same power cord when you took it in, sounds like the problem is there or your home circuits, extension cords, outlet, surge suppressor
(overloaded circuit)
Chewy

#9 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

The tech used his own cable and then also tested mine. The cable was fine.

When I got home I tried the system on a different outlet than it normally uses and I got the error.

#10 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

How old is the computer?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:12 AM

how can you have raid and only one hard drive?

make sure the case and especially the power supply fan is clean,

power it on with all that extra crud disconnected and then turn it right back off then try again

still sounds like your power supply is going out or weak, but I have had bad components pulling down the voltage so much it wouldn't boot before

those specs don't look that good for that price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...0W+Power+Supply

Edited by DaChew, 30 September 2007 - 03:16 AM.

Chewy

#12 Ravie13

Ravie13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to reply. I talked to a non-PC Club related tech who told me that it sounded like a "cold boot problem". Now I have to completely shut off all power going to the computer (switch on the back), wait 20 seconds and then turn it on. In this scenario the hard drive WILL boot.

I've learned to live with it.

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

I looked up your Abit board and it is no too old and Abit makes good
boards so this may or may not be relative, but i offer it. Hope it helps.
I have seen this problem before (mainly on Dells) due to bad capacitors.
Open up your PC case and examine the tops for bulging or swelling.
Bad Caps - http://news.cnet.com/i/ne/p/photo/capacito...ple_500x375.jpg
I could not find a manual, but since the MOBO is not too old it should be
S.M.A.R.T capable. Enter the BIOS and activate this if it is not already.
Reboot and see if it reports the hard drive is failing.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users