Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

running defrag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dsfan68

dsfan68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:22 PM

I am trying to run my defrag, but it will start and stop. Never gets past 1 or 2 percent. I checked one book I have here and it says to close down other programs that are running. I have done that-- but like I said in my last post ( I think) When I do that, some things will not shut down, or if I do they open back up. Or I have to hit ctrl/alt/del 5 or 6 times to make it stop. It seems I have so many programs I do not even know what is necessary to be on my computer. So I don't know what to run at all times. Except sys tray, explorer, and my virus and so on.

Please advise?!?!?

AARRRGGGHH!! I need a new computer ( so I can screw that one up too!!) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:39 PM

You should defrag in Safe Mode :flowers: Windows will only load the minimum amount of software that is needed for the operating system to work. This method is also a great way to run Scan Disk,. Which also has trouble completing when applications are running.

How to start windows in Safe Mode

It seems I have so many programs I do not even know what is necessary to be on my computer. So I don't know what to run at all times. Except sys tray, explorer, and my virus and so on.

This should help. :thumbsup:

Bleeping Computer_Startup Database

Edited by scarlett, 04 February 2005 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

Safe Mode is a great prace to run those programs. It is possible that your screen saver is restarting the application. Even in Safe Mode, you may want to make sure that you disable it. Turn the monitor off, and come back to it in a couple of hours or so, to check the progress.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users