Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Been Tangoed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 treefrog2

treefrog2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi guys, I hope you lot can be my knights in shining armour or at least calm me down. Its a bit of a long story but the crux of it is... I'm not a techie but an auto didact on powerpoint for teaching. Anyway I recently got the net into my house and started downloading all sorts of animations and movie clips for my powerpoints. My school promised me anti virus software but I decided to work without a net!
Last night I got virus messages and decided to buy some anti virus stuff - I bought the spy-shredder stuff but following some dodgy goings on I became very suspicious and basically realised (rightly or wrongly) that this spyshrdder was dodgy so immediately bought some Norton anti virus stuff on my mate's reccommendation (at 4.00am he was not impressed!!!). I down loaded the Norton and then cancelled my credit card. I then ran the Norton.
My questions are :
1. Was the spyshredder dodgy
2. Having sent my card details to spyshredder and then cancelling it am I safe
3. Having run the Norton, have I got rid of the spyshredder if not can this be done period
4. Having bought and run Norton 360 am I now sufficiently protected
5. Could the spyshredder be hiding within my system with the capacity to send my new card detils to its mother ship
I really hope you guys can help me out I'm very stressed about it all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

Hi and Welcome to B.C!

The programme is indeed malware and not legit. If you had this suddenly pop up on your screen and you purchased it, you really should never do that. If you ever see anything display itself out of nowhere and it has no relation to software stored on your computer, you can almost certainly say its a virus or spyware of some sort. Some more menacing than others.
You did right in cancelling your card.

Also, you should never use the internet without Anti-Virus AND Anti-Spyware software stored on your computer. Doing so, almost straight away will leave your system infected, especially if your downloading. Its like walking into a fire without protective clothing on, you will get burnt almost instantly.

You can click HERE and see instructions on how to remove the malware. However, if you have used the internet without an Anti-Virus and you installed Norton after infection then there is a high chance that Norton cant see the Malware on your System.

My advice is to not connect to the internet right now for downloading. The best thing to do, to clean your system and prevent anything like this happening in the future, is to post a log in the High Jack This forum.

Please read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HighJackThis Log

Once you have done that, post a High-Jack-This log into the HJT forum section. It may take a little time in order to fix your problem, depending on the strength of infection. But, a team member there will talk you through what to do and help you fix your system.

The forum is always busy, and so are the HJT team, so please bare with them. Please allow up to 5 days for a reply. If you do not receive a reply after the 5 days, you can use the 'Have not had a reply in 5 days' log at the top of the HJT forum to let the team know.

Please DO NOT try to bump your post by adding another reply to it first time around.
The team will look for logs that have 0 replies, if you add somthing else after your original post, then you will give yourself a reply and the HJT team will think someone is already helping you and may pass it by.This will then take more time for you to recieve any help.

IMPORTANT: Once you have posted your HJT log, do not attempt to fix anything yourself , please wait for the team to help.

Good luck

Kind Regards
Graveangel!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

Bleeping Computer's tutorial for removing Spyshredder in link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98791/how-to-remove-spyshredder-or-spy-shredder-removal-instructions/

Follow up with the two programs in the link below to remove the malware that accompanies Smitfraud malware.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 treefrog2

treefrog2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for the advice - its' really reassuring to know that there are decent people who care for others

#5 treefrog2

treefrog2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi Guys Treefrog here, I wish to thank you Graveangel and Buddy 215 for your help. I got a friend of mine to come around and help me out of the mess. He is a techie, works as an engineer and knows his stuff. He was very impressed with you guys, the forum and the fact that there are people who are on our side. Anyway he used all your advice to sort me out . Great stuff. Thanks.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

Glad you got it taken care of. Happy Hoppin' to ya!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users