Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Files Not Working In Ie 7 Or Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I have been downloading and using Windows Media Player to watch video clips for six to seven months without any problem. All of a sudden today when I download a video clip and it downloads it to open in Windows Media Player I get the following message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I have Nero Showtime installed and I can save the downloaded file to my desktop and it works just fine.

I really like Media Player and just don't understand why it is just now not working. I did do some Vista updates so I did a restore and went back before the updates but it still doesn't work.

I went online and found the Vista Codec package. I downloaded and installed it but it didn't help.

Does anyone have any idea. My laptop works just fine (even with the updates!)

The video clips on fox, cnn, and msnbc all work. Please enlighten me. Just about to drive me crazy. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

Apparently it is wmv files. Media Player 11 should play this file (just like wma for audio!) I thought maybe trying to update the Media Player 11 but I checked and there are no updates.

Does anyone know how to reinstall Media Player 11 or repair it if it is not able to play its own Media Player 11 wmv files? Thanks for any and all comments.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Tried AVI files and they don't work either. Trying to see if there isn't some way to do a repair of Windows Media Player 11. Any ideas? Thank!

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Is it possible to do a restore using the Vista DVD which would in effect fix any problem that I am having with the Media Center 11. I just don't know and would sure appreciate some thoughts on this posibility.

Thnks in advance for any and all ideas.

#5 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

Not really much of a fix to your problem but a work around. Have you tried using VLC?

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

DivX is what I use for my AVI files in Vista and works fine along with this http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

I'd recommend trying some of the other codecs mentioned before trying to repair Vista. If the other codecs don't fix the issue, then here's a link to the repair process: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/200...21/1046591.aspx

this is the best link I could find, I am sure there are better newer ones, but installing codecs is a risky thing,
hard to fix what they screw up, ffdshow is the best by far I have ever tried
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users