Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Frozen Computer...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 callaghan

callaghan

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

hi guys. you helped me out before, and was wondering if you could do so again. here is the short version...

ok...i have a HP laptop, it has the amd processor in it. it has worked great for 3 years so far. i do frequent cleanings, and defrags...as per what this board recommends. so the other night i was browsing my usualy locations, wera.com, and jenningsgp.com when all of a sudden my computer froze. the mouse still worked, but it took about 15 seconds to complete any action. i would click on the close window "x" in the top right of a windows box, and it would take 15 seconds to close the box, and even then it would do it in stages...like the screen would turn white, and then the desktop would display with no programs showing, just the picture. and finally, the programs would pop back up. just about everything is useless, because i waited for over half an hour just to get firefox to open my home page, and even then, it just opened up, and the home page never loaded. i did get the windows mgr to tell me that wuauclt.exe is using 99% of the CPU, and that leaves nothing for anything else. also, my computer had just downloaded a windows update, but i didnt think i installed it, because it never asked me to do anything, it just started by itself, and then disappeared. it also never told me that it was finished installing or even if it had downloaded. i do have the hijack this program, and some adware and antivirus (like av something, aviro maybe...) the icon looks like an umbrella...anyways, any help would be appreciated!!! thanks.

edit. i have to do this from work, on my lunch break, so i wont be able to respond until friday afternoon, unless i hit the library.

Edited by callaghan, 29 August 2007 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

Depending on where wuauclt.exe is located, determines whether it's malicious or not
http://www.file.net/process/wuauclt.exe.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users