Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry (problems With Directplay)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Olnir

Olnir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have been trying for months now to correct a problem with my sound, voice specifically. I believe it is a registry problem since I have tried different pieces of equipment (headphones, microphones, etc) and different USB ports (I have 7 in all). When I try to test my sound hardware I get the following error:

Direct Play Voice Setup: An error occurred during DirectPlay voice setup. The error code is 0x80004005.

click OK

then I get

Windows error: Windows cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install.

I have gone into regedit and changed my duplex settings to 3, 3, 2 and it still does not correct it. I did notice earlier though that under Audioconfig I have 3 duplex folders with 1 of them being a duplicate. I have a screenshot but am not sure how to put it in this post. I have also noticed that my duplex settings do not seem to be saving...

What I am wondering

(A) Is it possible to completely clear the registry and start fresh? and would this likely fix my problem?
(:thumbsup: If not how might I fix this problem.

My pc runs a 160gb drive with 2 partitions... 1 20g partition with OS only and the other 140g for storage.
1g RAM
GeForce 6600GT
SB X-Fi Audio
AMD 3200+
DvD+-RW
etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi Olnir.

"CAUSE
This problem occurs because when you change the Audio Hardware Acceleration setting to None. This removes the hardware-accelerated device from the list of possible devices. However, DSound continues to try and map to the device."

"RESOLUTION
This problem generally occurs only the first time that you run the test. If this problem continues to occur after the first attempt, follow these steps:

1.In Control Panel, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.

2.On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.

3.On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider at least one position to the right."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282882

Edited by WinCrazy, 29 August 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#3 Olnir

Olnir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hardware acceleration is all the way to the right already.

#4 Olnir

Olnir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Performed the steps... problem still exists.

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

This looks very specific:

From: http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...p;ErrorID=22221

"Error Message:
Sound Hardware Test: An error occurred during direct play voice setup. The error code is 0x80004005.
Translation:
This error message may also be seen with the following error message: Windows Error: Windows cannot execute Dpvsetup.exe. Use Add/Remove Programs Control Panel to install. The problem most likely resides with a known WinXP bug that was probably triggered by another bug in the Game Voice program.
Solution:
The solution involves reconfiguring some advanced sound settings and tweaking the Registry. Start by opening the Control Panel and selecting the Sounds And Audio Devices icon (in the Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices category). Choose the Voice tab, locate the Voice Playback heading, and click the Advanced button. From the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, choose its Performance tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the right. It doesn't matter how far to the right, as long as the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to something other than None. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Before continuing to the next phase of the solution, you must make sure Dpvsetup.exe isnít open and running on your PC. Press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE key combination to access the Task Manager and locate any references to Dpvsetup.exe or DirectPlay Voice. End all of them and close the Task Manager.

Now itís time to edit the Registry. Open the Start menu, select Run, type regedit in the Open field, and click OK. In the Registry Editor, locate and highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\DIRECTPLAY\VOICE\AUDIOCONFIG. The AudioConfig key should include a pair of nested folders labeled with hexadecimal numbers. Open both of them to reveal several Registry values, including three labeled as FullDuplex, HalfDuplex, and MicDetected.

Right-click the FullDuplex value and select Modify from the pop-up menu. In the resulting Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 3 in the Value Data field and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the HalfDuplex and MicDetected values, setting the Edit Value fields to 3 for HalfDuplex and 2 for MicDetected. Close the Registry Editor and reboot the computer. The microphone should now work correctly. If it doesnít, you may have a malfunctioning microphone or Game Voice control pad on your hands.
See Also:
Examining Errors

#6 Gumpokc

Gumpokc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

Olnir, I have the same problem as you do.
I do not have an answer though, but in researching it, i have come across several hundred people also affected by it.

I agree with you that it is a directplay issue, and from what i've seen i am beginning to believe that Microsoft has a bug in the order of the patches/updates when you download after a new install.

For myself, i have a 2002 copy of winxp pro, and I _think_ what is happening in somewhere MS goofed, and either a file is getting dl'd out of order, or there is a directory tree messed up in the cab files, but only in the large files needed to fully upgrade an _OLD_ copy of windows XP.
Prior to this reinstall i did, everything was working fine, the only differenc ei can see, i sthat prior to the reinstall, i updated overtime with the regular windows updates. afterthe reinstall i did it all at once, and now it has a problem.

Like you, i've folllowed all the knowledgebase information, done more troublshooting than I've done I years.
I really think this is very specific directplay issue, I just have no idea how to fix it:/

Wincrazy, It's nice that you replied so fast, but....when you can plainly see that a person has already been through the steps in the knowledgebase, you don't need to repost them.

My specs as follows:
AMD 3800+
1 gig mem
boot drive 320 gig, 2 parts
storage drive 160 gig
dvd-rw
sb audigy se

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:05 AM

Do you use ZoneAlarm? I read on another forum where someone had this exact same problem and uninstalling ZoneAlarm fixed it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Olnir

Olnir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

Do you use ZoneAlarm? I read on another forum where someone had this exact same problem and uninstalling ZoneAlarm fixed it.

Sorry for the delay in response... Nope... I do not use Zonealarm. I did the complete wipe and reinstall, updated... and it doesn't work. Nice to know someone else has this issue, Gumpokc, and understands my frustration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users