Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a way I can print the listed prorams that are listed in autoruns? I have winxp.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

You can click on file, then save. It will save the file by default as autoruns.txt. You can then open it in notepad and print it.

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Thanks,
I'll try that

#4 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the help.

I was able to print out the autoruns list of what's running at start up. I am AMAZED at how much is running. All in all I have 21 pages of items that I'll have to research one by one! Surely there must be an easier way to approach this problem rather than entering each and every file name in the search box of the start up data base. Is there a way to find the minimal number of programs required to run winXP?

If I could do this, then all I'd have to do is stop all the unessessary programes from starting. I have been told that windows really only requires twenty some odd programs to run. Is this a logical action approach or am I missing something that could be detrimental?

Thanks for any help.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

I would really focus on the entries listed under the Logon, Appinit, and services tabs when in autoruns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users