Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Some Vista Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Galvatron

Galvatron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

Sup all,
This is my first post, seems like you have a really nice lookin site here. So heres my question I have Xp right now and I think I am ready to switch to Vista. My questions are: Which version of Vista should I Get? I have 2 PC's (other is the wifes) we use them to Surf the net check email pay bills Etc. but mostly to play WOW, I would also like to be able to hook my Xbox 360 to my PC.
My other Question is I see New Egg sells OEM Versions of Vista which seem to be less Expensive What am I missing out on by buying an OEM version Verses a Retail Version? If I buy an OEM Version can I use it on both of my PC's?
My last Question is I have seen those Speed Booster Flash drive things for Vista that Supposeldy add like 1gb of ram. do they work? are they worth it? will I need them?

Hope my Questions are'nt so noobish that they make laugh :huh:
Thanks in advance for the help
Galvatron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

I use Home Premium, and it suits my purposes fine - that is, surf the net, pay bills, etc. It also has a proprietary email program, calendar, and a few other whizzbangs. It uses Windows Media Center, which as far as I can remember interfaces with XBox (I could be wrong about this - you could confirm with the XBox website).

I would recommend at least 1 gig RAM minimum for Vista, just to run the OS, although you could employ some memory conservation strategies. For memory intensive stuff, you'll of course need more. Sorry, but I cant comment on speed booster flash.

This online article discusses Vista OEM:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
Also, here is a general background behind OEM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer (look for the section on "software")

Will other versions of Vista serve your needs better? I cant say from experience, but I think Home Premium might do the trick for you.

And its never noobish to ask questions. :huh:

Hope this helps a little.

[edit]
I forgot to add that its a good idea to confirm that all of the software you intend to use will work on Vista. Although it has been released for a while, many software programs are still trying to "catch up":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 August 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Also, don't forget to check to see if your system has Vista drivers available for all of your hardware (to include the stuff inside the case along with printers, cameras, etc).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Just check Microsoft's Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List. This is only works in internet Explorer 6 or later.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Galvatron

Galvatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

sweet thanks for info
oh btw I forgot to post

each of the PC's Have 2gbs of ram core 2duo processors
my pc has ATI x1600 256mb
hers has Geforce 7800 256mb
thanks again guys

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Your specs will be fine.
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

Vista is very cooperative when it comes to tweaking settings to improve performance. Since there's a lot of eye candy in the OS, adjusting your video settings lower will generally result in an increase in performance. I run Vista Ultimate on an M45-S169 Toshiba laptop (specs here: http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/toshiba...169_laptop.html ) with 1 gB of RAM (and the performance tweaks) without any significant issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users