Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Some Vista Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Galvatron

Galvatron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

Sup all,
This is my first post, seems like you have a really nice lookin site here. So heres my question I have Xp right now and I think I am ready to switch to Vista. My questions are: Which version of Vista should I Get? I have 2 PC's (other is the wifes) we use them to Surf the net check email pay bills Etc. but mostly to play WOW, I would also like to be able to hook my Xbox 360 to my PC.
My other Question is I see New Egg sells OEM Versions of Vista which seem to be less Expensive What am I missing out on by buying an OEM version Verses a Retail Version? If I buy an OEM Version can I use it on both of my PC's?
My last Question is I have seen those Speed Booster Flash drive things for Vista that Supposeldy add like 1gb of ram. do they work? are they worth it? will I need them?

Hope my Questions are'nt so noobish that they make laugh :huh:
Thanks in advance for the help
Galvatron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

I use Home Premium, and it suits my purposes fine - that is, surf the net, pay bills, etc. It also has a proprietary email program, calendar, and a few other whizzbangs. It uses Windows Media Center, which as far as I can remember interfaces with XBox (I could be wrong about this - you could confirm with the XBox website).

I would recommend at least 1 gig RAM minimum for Vista, just to run the OS, although you could employ some memory conservation strategies. For memory intensive stuff, you'll of course need more. Sorry, but I cant comment on speed booster flash.

This online article discusses Vista OEM:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
Also, here is a general background behind OEM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer (look for the section on "software")

Will other versions of Vista serve your needs better? I cant say from experience, but I think Home Premium might do the trick for you.

And its never noobish to ask questions. :huh:

Hope this helps a little.

[edit]
I forgot to add that its a good idea to confirm that all of the software you intend to use will work on Vista. Although it has been released for a while, many software programs are still trying to "catch up":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 August 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Also, don't forget to check to see if your system has Vista drivers available for all of your hardware (to include the stuff inside the case along with printers, cameras, etc).

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Just check Microsoft's Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List. This is only works in internet Explorer 6 or later.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Galvatron

Galvatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

sweet thanks for info
oh btw I forgot to post

each of the PC's Have 2gbs of ram core 2duo processors
my pc has ATI x1600 256mb
hers has Geforce 7800 256mb
thanks again guys

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Your specs will be fine.
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

Vista is very cooperative when it comes to tweaking settings to improve performance. Since there's a lot of eye candy in the OS, adjusting your video settings lower will generally result in an increase in performance. I run Vista Ultimate on an M45-S169 Toshiba laptop (specs here: http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/toshiba...169_laptop.html ) with 1 gB of RAM (and the performance tweaks) without any significant issues.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users