Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Soft Menu

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jilly

Jilly

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

HELP .....Please!! :thumbsup:

My son has WIN98 on his pc in his room..

I don't know what has happened but everytime you switch it on it says the following....

CPU is unworkable or has been changed, please recheck CPU Soft Menu.

You have the option to either press DEL and enter the BIOS menu or press F1 to load Windows,
What could be wrong? Obviously something has been changed but I cannot seem to find the problem, I would like to just reformat the whole thing but I am finding it impossible to find a win98 bootup disc, I cannot make one from my own pc as I have not floppy drive.
The PC of my sons is a pentium 3, op speed is 333 (66)
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Jilly, 29 August 2007 - 07:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

You need to reboot the computer and enter the BIOS, usually by tapping the delete key when it starts. Once in the BIOS you should restore default settings
Mark
Read more
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jilly

Jilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

You need to reboot the computer and enter the BIOS, usually by tapping the delete key when it starts. Once in the BIOS you should restore default settings
Mark
Read more

Hi Mark

Thanks for the advice but that hasn't made a difference, I had already tried restoring all the BIOS settings but that didn't fix it, I thought maybe a format would do the trick but the boot disc I have isn't working and my PC doesn't have a floppy drive, I think I might have to take it to a PC clinic at the weekend and be ripped off Oops...I mean let them have a look at it, I can usually fix minor things but my son has ...(Insert choosen line here) knackered it up well and truly. :flowers:

Thanks for the help.

Jill :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

I noticed it's a rather old machine. You could take the side off and remove the motherboard battery. It's a coin size/shape object, and go to the drugstore and get another one and replace it. That's certainly worth a shot before you send it out for repair. You have to enter the BIOS to reset the date and time. When exiting the BIOS remember to enter"exit and save changes" (just making sure)
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Jilly

Jilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

I noticed it's a rather old machine. You could take the side off and remove the motherboard battery. It's a coin size/shape object, and go to the drugstore and get another one and replace it. That's certainly worth a shot before you send it out for repair. You have to enter the BIOS to reset the date and time. When exiting the BIOS remember to enter"exit and save changes" (just making sure)
Mark

Hi Mark..

I think I have well and truly ermmm messed it up..It now wont even load past the Windows98 page, it just goes to the black DOS screen and says "Invalid System Disk, Replace the disk and press any key" I've tried putting the win98 floppy in, then the win98 cd, then both, nothing works.

:trumpet: :inlove: :cool:

I knew I should of left it alone :flowers:

Ps..Yeah I did remember to save after making any changes :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

You can reload it yourself. Get the Windows ME bootdisk from Here If you need a refresher course on how to do it read this:
http://fdisk.radified.com/
Mark
It just dawned on me you don't have a floppy drive

Edited by garmanma, 29 August 2007 - 04:51 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 Jilly

Jilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

You can reload it yourself. Get the Windows ME bootdisk from Here If you need a refresher course on how to do it read this:
http://fdisk.radified.com/
Mark
It just dawned on me you don't have a floppy drive

I got a friend to do me a brand new copy of the boot up disk but it still doesn't work.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

Please explain what you did and how the computer responded
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Have you made sure that the boot order is right?
It might have defaulted to not searching for the cd or floppy drive.

If neither the floppy or the cd makes a difference to the PC booting, that might be why.
Change it to CD(ROM), Floppy then IDE-0/HDD1/C:/Primary Hard drive (Should be one of those).
Insert CD and floppy disk (jic), Exit Saving Changes, and Reboot
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 Jilly

Jilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

Have you made sure that the boot order is right?
It might have defaulted to not searching for the cd or floppy drive.

If neither the floppy or the cd makes a difference to the PC booting, that might be why.
Change it to CD(ROM), Floppy then IDE-0/HDD1/C:/Primary Hard drive (Should be one of those).
Insert CD and floppy disk (jic), Exit Saving Changes, and Reboot

Thanks very much, I'll give that a go, I did make sure it said either CD(ROM) or Floppy..But don'tt know (or understand) the IDE-0/HDD1/C:/Primary Hard drive.

I will give this a try and report back..

Thanks Tswsl1989 :thumbsup:

#11 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

The third device will probably be one of the options (not all of them)
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users