Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd/cd-rw Errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

The last few days all applications report "no device detected" for my DVD/CD-RW drive. It's on a six month old Acer F series computer.

It is installed and enabled under the device manager. I uninstalled it and restarted my computer and it reinstalled it normally, but the problem remained.

I never heard of the event manager until reading this forum today, but there are a ton of errors listed for Service Control Manager and SidebySide. There is an occasional warning for Windows Defender.

I had trouble a while back with the acer desktop management software locking up my dvd but I am not receiving those error messages. I am able to explore the drive but it shows up blank.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your time!

PS. I just noticed that my USB external drive (a new 320gb My Book) cannot be accessed either.

It could be the Acer elock software again. Will I be able to uninstall it without causing more system problems?

Edited by kimr, 29 August 2007 - 05:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

In my personal experience, these "helper" programs can be pretty spurious. If you have an OS that supports it, open msconfig and try disabling software that might be causing the conflict.

To open msconfig:
Click start -> run, then type msconfig in the text box. One of the tabs relates to startup items. Make a note of all that are active and inactive. Disable all programs that you recognize as non-critical. For your reference, there is information on startup stuff here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Reboot, check for any improvement, and post back when you can. Also post your OS and other comp specs.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users