Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Virus Scanner Not Scan Some Files.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Programm3r

Programm3r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

As a gamer I have some suspicious files like WPE PRO & some other tools ( that I am sure they have no VIRUS at all ) that anti virus scanners see them as Trojans or viruses, malware etc.. and I was wondering can someone recommend me with a anti virus scanner than has an option like white list/trust list where I can add files that the virus scanner should not scan while doing a system scan or when am opening them, so in short im trying to get a anti virus scanner than has an option of not scanning some files/folders, kthx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

you do not specify which antivirus program you are presently using but I beleive that avg 7.5

avg 7.5 will accomodate your requirements if you select the appropriate settings in the test centre/ scan selected areas section each time ; if you choose to install this program you will be aware that you need to remove your present antivirus program?

HOWEVER; is asking the scanner to omit specific areas adviseable as those omitted areas might well contain a nasty that IS infecting your computer ; are you sure you have NO infections on board? or just wishful thinking ?
if you have not already done so may I suggest you scan with these free programs

spybot

superantispyware

asquared
to see if you have an infection or trojan on there you do not know about? :thumbsup:

Edited by ruby1, 29 August 2007 - 04:39 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Many AVs (like AVG) will have a "custom scan" option; this allows you to bypass secondary drives, folders and subfolders. You can check the HELP file of your current AV, or go to the company's webpage to look for further information about this feature.
While removing some areas from regular scanning, Ruby1 makes a valid point that continual ignoring of these areas may present problems. It would be a good habit to schedule a complete scan on a regular basis.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

on further consideration of your request; I believe you are very unwise to intentionally ignore specific areas of the computer with the scanners; they are designed to FIND nasties for you and to ignore what they may and do find is, in my view , foolhardy and maybe an irresponsible computerite habit ; if you ARE infected and avoiding doing anything about it and THEN I presume e mailing?to whom are you potentially spreading an infection?

one assumes that the programs you are using are legitimate?

and I would not encourage anyone else who reads this thread to deliberately ignore scanning ANY section of their computer :thumbsup:
and one assumes you are not also involved in P2P activities?
:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users