Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With An Rbot.108994

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghazgrim

Ghazgrim

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

Ok, time to get the ball rolling. A few weeks ago, i noticed my computer started to slow down, thus i actively sought to figure out the root cause. i ran spybot checks and used antivir to check for viruses in the system files. Eventually the computer degenerated to the point it would routinely crash while performing certain tasks, at the exact same time ( half way through a spybot scan, or during the loading period of a video game. Frustrated beyond belief, i backed up my important files by putting them onto my second hard drive, and proceed to reformat. To my horror, the crashing did not go away at all, despite reformatting. Thinking there must be some hardware problems, i quickly gave up on the computer. The next day i scanned the computer with Avira, and it found windows12.exe, somesort of Rbot trojan horse. i then quarentined it. Utterly surprised that i had a virus(i had no previous infection in years) i decided to scan my second hard drive which had probably never been virus scanned. This drive contains all my music, and documents saved from previous formats. Anyway, back on topic, the virus scanned found two more viruses, both called Crypt.FKM.Gen. Both of those were also quarentined. I still couldnt believe that my second hard drive contained a virus. Thinking that i had finally solved the mystery of my computers ailments, i proceeded to use my diagnostic test: run spybot again. The computer crashed again(about midway through). Completely dumbfounded, i decided to research how someone can help, thus i downloaded hijackthis, and found this forum. Please any help would be wonderful.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:49:15 AM, on 29/08/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avcenter.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Bell\ACCESS~1\app\TangoManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows modez Verifier] Windows12.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\npjpi160_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\npjpi160_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{604DD2E8-0470-41E2-B24B-830273F58AFD}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{604DD2E8-0470-41E2-B24B-830273F58AFD}: NameServer = 192.168.2.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6086B29F-4987-42BF-B24A-80519CCB579D}: NameServer = 207.164.234.193 67.69.184.199
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Tango Service (TangoService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4496 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hello Ghazgrim,

Download CCleaner and install it. (default location is best). Do not download the Beta version 2.0. Do not run it yet!

CCleaner Tutorial

Select the following with HijackThis.
With all windows (including this one!) closed (close browser/explorer windows), please select "fix."

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows modez Verifier] Windows12.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

Please download the OTMoveIt by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTMoveIt.exe to run it.
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy):

C:\WINDOWS\System32\Windows12.exe

• Return to OTMoveIt, right click on the "Paste List of Files/Folders to be moved" window and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • Copy everything on the Results window to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it on your next reply.
  • Note : If a reboot was necessary or you needed to Exit before posting the log, you will find a copy of the log at the root of the drive where OTMoveIt is installed, usually at :
    C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\********_******.log
    (where "********_******" is the "date_time")
  • Close OTMoveIt
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

*NOTE* CCleaner deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups.

Let's empty the temp files:

Run CCleaner.

CAUTION: Please do NOT use the Issues button. This is a built-in registry cleaner. If you don't know how to use it, you may cause irreparable damage to your system.

1. Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation.
IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Basic version instead of the Standard Build.

2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies.
Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
Clean all entries in the "System" section.
Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. Click "exit" when done.

If it asks you to reboot at the end, click NO.

CCleaner should be run with the above settings for each User Account!

Reboot your computer,

You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
Disable your antivirus program and go here to run BitDefender Online Scan.
Click on I Agree.
Avoid clicking on other links as you don't need to try out the full install at this point, just the online scanner.

When the ActiveX Control has loaded, click on "Click here to scan".
Please be patient, as this scan may take a few hours. It all depends on the number of files on your computer.

NOTE: If you are running XP SP2, you may need to click on the Information Bar to allow the ActiveX to install and may need to repeat the BitDefender Online Scan.

When BitDefender completes the scan, select the "Detected Problems" tab.
Click on "Click here to export scan".
Save the file as an HTML to your Desktop.
Then click on the saved file and allow it to open with your browser.
Go to Edit - Select All then copy/paste that log back here.
Post the BitDefender log.

Post the OTMoveIt log, the BitDefender log, a new Hijackthis log, and tell me how your computer is running.
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 Ghazgrim

Ghazgrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

I ran hijack this and removed the entry.
I then ran OTMoveit and it couldnt find the folder.
I ran BitDefender overnight and i think it crashed or something, because the computer was unreponsive.
-------------------------------

Despite removing the virus, my computer still continues to crash like before. what puzzles me is that i reformatted and the comp kept freezing the same way.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:10:03 AM, on 30/08/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Desktop\Fluffy.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Bell\ACCESS~1\app\TangoManager.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AAWTray] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\AAWTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{604DD2E8-0470-41E2-B24B-830273F58AFD}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{604DD2E8-0470-41E2-B24B-830273F58AFD}: NameServer = 192.168.2.1
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Tango Service (TangoService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4573 bytes

#4 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hello Ghazgrim,

I then ran OTMoveit and it couldnt find the folder.

I still need to see it.

Please post the OTMoveIt log, even if it did not find the folder.
you will find a copy of the log at the root of the drive where OTMoveIt is installed, usually at :
C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles\********_******.log
(where "********_******" is the "date_time")

I ran BitDefender overnight and i think it crashed or something, because the computer was unreponsive.

Lets try another anitvirus scanner.

Warning: The Kaspersky Online Scanner may not run successfully while any other Anti-Virus software is running. If you have Anti-Virus software installed, please
temporarily disable your Anti-virus protection before running the Kaspersky Online Scanner. Reenable it after the scan is finished.

* Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
* If you're downloading torrents in the background, please disconnect all of them.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.

Please perform this online scan:

Kaspersky Webscan

This scan require Internet Explorer to run.
Read the Requirements and Privacy statement, then select "Accept"

A dialogue box will appearing asking "Do you want to install this software?" Name: kavwebscan_unicode.cab
Select "Install" to download the ActiveX controls that allows ActiveScan to run.
When the download is complete it will say ready, click "Next"
Select a target to scan: Click on "My Computer"
In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
Scan Options:Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases

It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect.
When the scan is complete choose to save the results as "Save as Text"

Post the Kaspersky scan results in your next reply, along with a new Hijackthis log.
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:42 PM

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact me or a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users