Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Getting Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 claire j

claire j

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

Suddenly, yesterday, when I clicked on Outlook Express to get my email, it defaulted to a sales page for Earthlink! I spent half the night with Earthlink's techie but had to quit because it got so late. Tonight I tried again, and they sent me to Bleeping Computer site. So...how do I get rid of the Earthlink sales page and get my Outlook Express Email back? The very top line now reads Outlook Express by Netcom when my server is DSL extreme. Years ago I was with Netcom. I no longer have anything to do with Netcom...and have NEVER had anything to do with Earthlink. HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

can you clarify this please? is it when you click on your OE icon that this happens or when you click on the receive mail tab IN oe?

and who is your ISP?

also; what protection programs do you have installed and when did you last run them?

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:09 AM

Feel free to post what steps you have already taken to resolve the issue.

Have you tried running the OE executable directly, instead of using a shortcut? (sorry I dont have OE, so I'm not sure where it would be on your machine)

Have you done a full malware scan with updated definitions?

(Firstly, its always a good idea to create a general backup before doing this type of thing)
If you are still running into problems even when running the executable directly, you might want to take the following steps:
- backup OE data
- uninstall OE
- reinstall OE
- restore OE data

Here are the two official MS articles on this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670 ("How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data")
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263837 ("How to manually remove and reinstall Outlook Express")

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 August 2007 - 04:11 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

Are you clicking on (and opening) Outlook Express to download your E-mails to it, or are you opening your browser, Internet Explorer, to view your E-mails on line?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

have you got the Outlook express program back ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users