Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Trying To Help A Friend Connect To The Internet...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tmparsley

tmparsley

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

This is a long story, but after a month of my friend not being able to connect to the internet and having her computer checked out by the ISP - who says "it's not our problem, get your computer checked" and then she takes the computer to the techy guy and he changed her IP address then told her it the ISP problem and call them. Now neither of them will help her and she just wants to get connected again.

The biggest problem is she lives in Northern VT, where the techy guy and the ISP are the only shops in town, so nobody else out there to help her.

Her latest error is:

"Limited or No Connectivity due to IP address Error. "

I'm trying to walk her through this via telephone and want to be able to give her some instructions. If it is an IP address error can we have her verify that by "pinging" or something? are you able to give me a couple of steps to get this moving in the right direction? or to be able to nail down whose issue it really is?

Thanks for your help, i'm sure this is a challenging one.

Tina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

I can suggest you read thru this item.
How to Troubleshoot and Fix Windows XP SP2
Limited or No Connectivity Error Message

Edited by boopme, 28 August 2007 - 08:42 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

Was she ever connected or is this a new service?

#4 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

Yes she was, for at least over a year. There was a storm in her area then all the sudden she couldn't connect. For two weeks after that, her icon would tell her that she had a connection that was good, but she couldn't get out to the internet... then after the ISP told her that it was virus trouble and a computer problem, she ran her avp, lavasoft and sbybot, to no avail then took her computer to the techy guy. Who changed her ip address, told her that's what her issue is and to get back in touch with the ISP...

They keep blowing her off and telling her it's not their problem, and won't come back out to help her.

I'll read that link and see what i can come up with...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ANYONE?

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

pardon my ignorance :thumbsup: but where IS Northern VT?

and some more detail might be helpful ;you do not mention who the ISP is, whether it is supposed to be dial-up, broadband, cable etc; was she actually connected TO the internet when the storm struck or had she disconnected ? we are assuming she is on XP with system restore enabled?

if the computer still boots up, will it allow a restore to a date when the comp WOULD go on line to be performed on it?

and does she have the installation discs FOR the ?broadband connection?

and has the line itself been checked ?

#6 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:41 AM

THANK YOU, these are the types of questions i am looking for.

Northern VT is DERBY, VERMONT.
The ISP is Island Pond Wireless, which is a subsidiary of Great Auk Wireless

I believe this is cable, i am sure it's not dial-up.

The computer does still boot up, as far as allowing a restore date I would need to have written instructions on how to do that. (pardon our ignorance - this is why we are coming to you guys :thumbsup: )

Whether the computer was on and connected during the storm, I will find out.

Installation discs for the broadband: I will find out.

The line being checked: I will find out.

This is a challenge as I am in a different state, so my only communication with this friend is email, IM and telephone, and at this moment we are limited to telephone. She runs to the library every day to get info i email her on this problem, so any instructions you can give me, I will send to her to print out. THANKS AGAIN!!!

#7 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

Answers to a couple more questions:

Was the computer connected: this was over a month ago, she is not entirely sure but believes it wasn't. At that time he was told by the ISP that they had a Power Surge in the area and that she should wait a couple of days and it would work itself out. After about 2 weeks with no connection, she started this runaround with the ISP and the Computer Guy.

Type of internet: I haven't heard of this before but she said Sattelite.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

system restore; ;assuming we are dealing with XP; have a read up here
read up about system restore from microsoft site

if you are on XP or similar you could practice finding this on your computer

as to the other basic questions; by a process of elimination we can hopefully find out what IS the cause and try to correct it :thumbsup:

one more question; which antivirus and other protection programs ARE on board at this time ?may even be a clash there too , preventing connection :trumpet:

enjoy the 'homework' :flowers:

another point from YOURS; ask them if they have a satelite dish; if so is IT used ONLY for the internet or for tv as well ?

Edited by ruby1, 29 August 2007 - 10:09 AM.

#9 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

THANKS, i'll keep you posted,
tina

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

was there any news on this or has the attempt to sort this been abandoned? :thumbsup:

#11 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Actually its been very difficult because of living in a different, she doesn't have internet, and her knowledge of computers / technology is very slim. I did have somebody reply a personal message from this forum actually called her directly and talked to her yesterday. She's thinking that she needs to run some winsock program and also purchase a new ethernet card.

I'll keep you posted.

#12 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

The computer was taken to another location and it was able to connnect. This leads me to wonder if it could be a cable problem. A new modem was sent and connected but the cables were not exchanged out for new ones. The computer guy that worked on it seems to believe that a 169 IP address can only be due to the ISP 's problem. The ISP says they do not find any problems when running a test from their end. Any thoughts?

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

The computer was taken to another location and it was able to connnect. This leads me to wonder if it could be a cable problem. A new modem was sent and connected but the cables were not exchanged out for new ones. The computer guy that worked on it seems to believe that a 169 IP address can only be due to the ISP 's problem. The ISP says they do not find any problems when running a test from their end. Any thoughts?

from where did we learn this point? I cannot see this mentioned on this thread?

and we still have not had it clarified by what the computer DOES connect to the internet :thumbsup:

????DOES the above reply belong on this thread?

#14 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

YES it does, Criss44 approached me privatley (as stated in my 9/8 reply) and asked if she could walk my friend through some trouble shooting...

She has done that for me and this is what Criss44 has come up with...

recent update as of yesterday - ISP came out to friends location and argued that it IS NOT on their end. The techy that they sent offered to take the computer home and work on it himself. and that's where we stand. Anybody out there work with Island Pond Wireless in VT that discuss this with them or at least help trouble shoot?

thanks,
Tina

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

my suggestion is to try a winsock fix; I personally have never used the tool ; problem would be how to get the tool TO the affected computer;

also; has the system restore been attempted yet?

and just how DOES the computer actually connect TO the internet? is it via cable or??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users