Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling The Ability To "sort By.."

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

Is there any way I can disable the ability to right-click in places (folders, my desktop, and the start menu) and click "Sort by.."? Or any way to make it more complicated than just "Right click --> arrange icons by.."

It really makes me so mad/annoyed/irritated, and messes me up whenever somebody autosorts my icons. I like my things being sorted by when they were added to my computer. This gives me more of a "progressive addition" feeling. When somebody autosorts something, it really throws me off because I don't know the new locations of the things (even though they can be sorted by name).

I'm willing to go to any extreme to achieve this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:14 PM

From site: http://www.mdgx.com/newtip20.htm

--------------------------------------
LOCK DESKTOP ICONS Courtesy of Jorge."In Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 you can lock down the position of your Desktop icons using a couple of files from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit (RK) [5 KB, free, unsupported].
Place Layout.dll in %windir%\System (Win95/98/ME) or %windir%\System32 (WinNT/2000/XP/2003) and then double-click on Layout.reg.
From now on, whenever you right-click on the "Recycle Bin" or "My Computer" icons, you can see a new option: "Save [or Restore] Desktop Icon Layout".
There are several 3rd party tools that also do this, but these files are free and only 14 KB in size."

To automate Layout.* installation get Icon Restore [freeware].

Similar tool [freeware].

------------------------------

Do note the problem reports that follow the description above in the site. MAKE A REGISTRY BACKUP BEFORE YOU TRY THIS.

See also: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Shell_a...top_Keeper.html

Just because the download above is free doesn't mean that the software is free !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users