Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidental Xp User Acct. Overwrite

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mcbad1

mcbad1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

hello-
i have xp, i was trying to add another user, i did so, the new user was also a "computer administrator" (although not the same login name), and now i can't find the original files, documents, pictures, music, NOTHING! is that stuff gone? help!!!!! (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you may want. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2007 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hi mcbad1. You probably haven't lost anything. When a new user account is created, unless you specify otherwise XP will give the new account Administrator privileges. The new user was given a new login name and no other user (or the "Administrator" login account, either) account was affected.

Weren't you using a different user account all along ? Now that there are more than 1 user accounts XP will automatically stop at the Welcome screen and show you the list of user accounts to choos to log on to.

When logged into your new account you must change some settings to be allowed to view the files using Explorer that are in any other user account:

Open Explorer > Tools button in the toolbar > Folders Options > View tab > Uncheck the checkbox "Hide protected operating system files". It's highly recommended to also uncheck the checkbox "Hide extensions for known file types".

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings
You should see multiple folders there, among which are "All Users", "Default User", "LocalService" and "NetworkService". All other folders belong to the user accounts. You should recognize the folder names as the user account names. Your old account files are in the folder titled with your original user account name:

C:\Documents and Settings\{account name}\My Documents\

You should find all your files there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users