Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page File Usage Increase

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded my PC adding a dual core AMD CPU and a second matched pair of geil value Ram. I also installed a 250GB SATA HDD. I am planning to swop over to this drive in the next couple of days once I've backed everything up off the 20 gig I'm using at the moment. I noticed in task manager that PF usage has gone through the roof. I would have thought that adding more Ram I wouldn't need such a huge swap file. I've just removed the second pair and my PF usage has dropped dramatically from 700MB to 250MB; at one point it was as high as 1.4 Gigs! I have not been using any resource hungry applications or demanding games so excuse me if I feel a little puzzled. Any help will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

Are you using an excessive amount of the Page File, or is it that the allocated size of the page file has increased?
For your Page File settings, which do you have selected, Custom size:, or System managed size?

Page file settings location:
Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Under Performance click the Settings button.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click the Change button.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

Hi azrael. This increase in Virtual Memory (PF) is normal and good. XP automatically sets the PF size to 1.5 times the amount of actual RAM. It saw that RAM was increased, so it made the adjustment.

Nice upgrade ! When you say you are going to swap over to the new drive, do you mean that you want to move XP over to it, or just your documents, photos, music, etc. ? If you want to move XP then you will either have to reinstall XP onto the new drive or else use a drive "cloning" technique to do this. You can't just simply copy iy over.

After a clone is done you need to configure the new XP installation so that the BIOS knows to boot off of it rather than off the old drive. This is called "setting the boot device order in the BIOS" and "setting the active partition". Google is you friend.
--------------------------------------------
You can "clone" the original hard drive to the new one if the original is still in good working order. You must be able to log into Windows, or at least into Safe Mode. This will save you XP installation including the Registry, programs and settings. I believe all these utilities can do this:

VCOM Partition Commander

Acronis Migrate Easy

Farstone DriveClone

Paragon Drive Backup

DriveClonerXP freeware

HDClone Free Edition freeware

elby CloneDrive freeware

Beginners Guide: Cloning XP Tutorial

#4 azrael

azrael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for your replies. It seems that page file usage has increased. I am looking at the little box in task manager under the performance tab. I have removed the second set of Ram and usage has decreased. I am going to re install and see what happens. I'll check back later. Cheers

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hi azrael. The more usage of PF/Virtual Memory the better ! This means that XP is puuting to good use that new memory. Keep it installed for better performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users