Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cor3

cor3

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

ok i have some really bad luck with firewalls

first i installed commodo like 2 weeks ago and i couldnt connect to the internet while it was running, so i unistalled it and turned on the windows one for a few weeks

than yesterday i installed zone alarm firewall and it seemed like it was working fine, until this morning i come to my computer and cant connect to the internet, but when i turn zone alarm off i have no problem connecting

anyone know whats going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

Make sure to cleanly uninstall any previous firewall, in your case Comodo. Then see this please
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105747/cant-connect-to-internet/

If you couldn't connect with Comodo, likely your rules for your connections weren't correct. Read Help screens?

Edited by tos226, 28 August 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

If you want a simple free, but one of the best firewalls around, you should try Sygate.

Version 5.5.2710 is said to be the most stable release, even though there were a couple of newer versions before Symantec bought them out. It's the one I'm using. It will no longer be updated, but for most users that isn't a problem. It's the basic firewall engine that does the work. And it's just fine.

If I'm remembering correctly, the free version is limited to 20 custom rules, but for most people that's plenty. You can download 5.5.2710 from here and it has a link to Old Version for other versions. There's also a very nice guide to setting up and using Sygate up at this link, since the Sygate forum is now gone too.

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

Many of the better firewalls require the user to "teach" them what to allow and disallow. It may have been that you accidentally checked a popup box incorrectly (they can be both annoying and interfering)---this prevented an application from accessing the internet. You may be able to "reset" the particular firewall you are using, or make changes by application to correct the mistake.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

WhatTheTech Teacher

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

Many of the better firewalls require the user to "teach" them what to allow and disallow. It may have been that you accidentally checked a popup box incorrectly (they can be both annoying and interfering)---this prevented an application from accessing the internet. You may be able to "reset" the particular firewall you are using, or make changes by application to correct the mistake.

This is most likely what is happening in your case.

If you are still using ZoneAlarm (a very good firewall in my opinion), here is how you can check and amend this problem:
  • Right click the ZoneAlarm icon in the Task Bar and click Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center
  • On the left hand side there are some tabs. Click on the Program Control tab.
  • In the list of programs find your Web Browser (e.g. Internet Explorer)
  • Next to your web browser's name, check to see whether there are ticks or crosses under the access column.
  • If there are crosses, left click them and click on the Allow button.
If these options were already set to allow, as mentioned make sure you cleanly uninstalled Comodo.

Hope that helps

jpshortstuff
Trained at the What The Tech Classroom where you too could learn to help others.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users