Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Help Help Help.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

I was forum searching for a good idea on how to fix my drive formatting problem...cant format gets 2 99% says cant format drive...cant read it with anything picks up when i first put it in when i mess with it (software wise) then sometimes it dispaeers from my computer (just file). but i used a program called file scavenger and i found loads of files..

i want to slave this drive.....
SPECS...
dell demi 2350
xp pro.
55gigs..............

slave: 80gigs...western digi..
slaved to cd dvd writer/player.
cable selected........

this is what i know....If anyone can help me with getting this thing afficially checked out with somekind of software. then that would be great.....i have used a couple softwares to format and fix sectors....Spinrite - killdisk - fdisk- xp fresh install cd

all but spin gives disk error....spinrite when booted to 80gig alone wouldnt even pick it up. but spin did work on my other drive so i know it is a good burn i did of it......

I have been working on this for a few days now and im getting a little terked someon plz help.....

thanks

almost forgot....using killdisk now....rolling threw the numbers starting with one now at118400 still saying error.....and just now killdisk app disapeered weird well can anyone help me..

Edited by KoanYorel, 28 August 2007 - 10:24 AM.
to remove email address to protect from spamming

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

If you look on the hdd you should be able to find the manufacturer and model number of it, if you goes to that manufacturer's web site they should have a diagnostic tool that you can download and burn to a CD, you can boot from this CD to find out if your hdd is still good.

What you have written is a little confusing, if I'm reading right you want to connect the two hdds as master and slave, if that is the case then here is a tutorial that will show you how to make the installation.

If this isn't what you were asking please explain what you need help with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

yes adding two hhd is what i want.....i will try that idea....thankyou.....be back at you

#4 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

ALRIGHT WELL ....I GOT A APP JUST FOR MY HARD DRIVE....AND IT SAID YOUR DRIVE IS NOW READY FOR YOUR PC... DATA LIFEGUARD TOOLS....

NOW WHEN I CLICK ON IT STILL WANTS ME TO FORMAT IT AND WHEN I DO IT GIVES ME THE ERROR AGAIN....

AND SOMETIMES IT KEEPS DISAPEERING OFF MY ..(MY COMPUER).. i DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN TRY BESIDES WHAT I HAVE DONE ....

I NOW HAVE IT SLAVED TO MY ORIGIANAL DRIVE...SOMETIMES MY PC PICKS UP THE NEW DRIVE SOMETIMES IT DONT ONE TIME IT LET ME SPLIT THE DRIVE AND WORKED FOR A MINUTE THEN I STARTED TO TRANSFER ABOUT 10 GIGS AT SAME TIME AND PC FROZE REBOOTED AND DISK WAS GONE.....

IS THIS 80GIG SALVAGABLE OR AM I JUST SCREWED

#5 toosmiles

toosmiles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

had a similar problem with my hd's disappearing m8
found out it was the ide lead,got a new 1 and now its perfect

#6 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

what is that

#7 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

Your IDE is the actual cable the Hd is connected to...

Posted Image

This cables wear out and could be the one causing the issue your experimenting.

Mav

#8 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

FYI, IDE cables do not wear out. However, if cables are often plugged in and pulled out they will eventually fail. Since this kind of situation is extremely rare, it's not a real possibility.

However, the cable you have may be marginally bad. Try a new cable to see if the problem goes away.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:03 AM

SpinRite is an awesome utility that can fix things that nothing else can. So, this leads me to believe it's a problem with the drive, cable, or controller on the mobo.

To rule out the controller, try the drive on the other IDE channel. I would suggest following the "old school" method of setting the jumper on the boot drive to Master and putting it on the far end of the cable, then take the problem drive, set the jumper to slave and put it on the middle connector of the cable. The "old school" method is of use when cable select isn't functioning correctly.

The cable problems refer not only to the cable itself - but also to what's hooked to it. Try disconnecting the CD/DVD drives and running the drive as Master on the far end of the cable. A new cable won't hurt, but make sure it's an 80 wire cable rather than a 40 wire cable - the 40's just aren't (IMO) reliable enough with todays software and hardware (and can cause problems when something is expecting to "see" an 80 wire cable).

To rule out the hard drive, place it in another machine that you know is working and see if you can access it. If you still can't access it in the other machine - then it's likely that there's a problem with it. Try downloading a free, bootable diagnostic utility from Western Digital and running it on the drive - this will remove Windows from the equation and will access the drive at a lower level.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

Been gone a couple of days but while i was gone....i used about three or so cables...switched around ...i even triied to put the hdd in my ibm....a dfferent pc than this one.....still nothing...now when i used this maxtor sector diagnostic...it was telling me i had lots and lots of bad sectors...I tried spinrite says data source not found....drive not found....

so i have been downling left and right.....I used all WD had to offer and still nothing...yet wd software told me that my drive was fine and ready for my pc....but this is noi the case still wont work....

I would normally just buy something new but this is kinda fun for me.....I really would like to get the self gratification of fixing this.........

any more suggestions as far as software that is free.......or anyting else perhaps...this would be great...

thanks....ill try my emachines and hp next see what that does....ill be informant lol lol
jay

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

If the diagnostic tool is telling you that you have bad sectors then you're probably going to need a new hard drive. One thing I would try is to do a low-level format of the drive and then run the diagnostic test again.

You can do a low level format with the HDD Low Level Format Tool.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:57 AM

The diagnostics check the drive through the existing hardware - so, the drive test's results could possibly be affected by issues in the chain between the drive and your view of the test results.

Basically, what you're looking for is:
1) Does a known good drive work with the rest of the equipment in this PC?
2) Does the hard drive work in another computer that you know to be good?

This will help to isolate the problem between the PC and the hard drive. Cables, hard drive controllers, power supplies, other devices can all affect the hard drive test in different ways. Since the WD diagnostics say it's OK, I'd tend to suspect the Maxtor test. But this is offset by the SpinRite results - so it's just a guess that this may be an issue with the motherboard controllers. FWIW - SeaTools by Seagate has the ability to test motherboard controllers in the versions that we use at work.

If the controller is messed up and spitting unrecognizable data to the hard drive - then the hard drive will store that unrecognizable data as it's told to do - causing some of the tests to have bad results.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:26 AM

WEll my net has been down but its up now newayz while i was gone again.....i tried those few methods everyone told me about from the tools to cables trick and jumpers ...

Now what i have dont is that i got it to work but i had to make 3 primary from the drive and one of the primarys when droping empty files in it to test it.....froze my pc had to reboot.......But i did hook my 80 gig the one im toying with up to a hp 98 win software old school but i used spinrite and well it foiund bad sectors and it couldnt find some at the same time and it told me it was going to take about well almost 2 years to complete so i gave taht up .....Power money reasons lol .....

I have pretty much given oup on it except when i get a bounce in me ....but i would like as much more info you could all spare.......

Going to try using spinrite again but this time on a dell diminsion ...cause im soon to get a new top.....so maybe a p4 dell can do the trick faster with spinrite....

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

SpinRite is a great tool - but it works over every single bit/byte on the drive - and since there's gajillion's of them on a hard drive, it's gonna take a while and there's not really any way to speed it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users