Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume Bsod :(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 daphil69

daphil69

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

OK ill tell you guys the story from the start...

I had a computer which had lots of bugs and got BSODS often
and it got one that i couldnt fix, the bsod said : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
I tryed alot of things, i tryed to get into the recovery console but it had an admin password

I gave in and took it to the computer guy, he fixed it and installed a new Pioneer Dvd Burner
I took it home and it was fantastic, it worked again, and wasnt reformatted!, I decided to be an idiot and experiment
i wanted more ram as it only had 256mb, i looked up some statistics and did scans and it said my system can support 2048mb and has 1 slot free. I got an old broken dell computer and took out the ram chip (this ram chip was 256mb, and SDRAM)
The original one in the fixed computer was a DDR RAM, I took out the power supply, and then tryed to put the dell ram chip in, it didnt fit so i kept pushing abit more and still nothing. I gave up and screwed the computer back together and it loaded all the way up to the windows xp screen and the loading bar didnt move and UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Error again!,

Some Notes:
It broke 2 days after the computer was fixed

On the first day i got it, i turned it off via shutdown.
On the day i was installing the ram i turned off by the powerbutton because it was lagging and i couldnt be bothered waiting.

I tried taking out the original ram and then placing it back in, and i tried pushing in all the cables to tighten them.

I TRYED TO BOOT FROM CD, And when i put in Windows Xp Cd (Backup Copy)

it says:

BOOT FROM CD
BOOT FROM CD ( it doesnt say Press any key too boot from cd as it used to.)

and then it loads as normal and gets a BSOD, I think it wont let me boot from cd because DVD DRIVE is set as primary and CD DRIVE is set as slave, and im putting the boot disk cd rom.

My boot options are:

1. CD ROM
2. CD ROM
3. CD ROM

Is there anyway to fix this , Please help guys i really really really really dont want to pay another $200 to fix it again!, and do you think its worth a try giving it back to him and saying it didnt work and maybe he will fix it for free?

Please help if you know anything i can do to try and solve this.

I hear that if you can access recovery console, you can type in fixmbr or something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

Hopefully you didn't break anything trying to put the wrong RAM in. All RAM is not interchangeable. I'm slightly confused, how are you setting the boot order? You have to access the BIOS to do that
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

Your issue may or may not be related to installing the ram. If a ) the wrong memory didnt fit, and b ) you didnt force it, and c ) you took all of the necessary precautions, then you might want to take it back and have the tech look at it again - it might still be under some sort of service warranty.
You could just call or email them to to see what your options are - but say up front that you want a diagnosis of what the problem is, with a non-obligatory price quote before any work is done. Best case scenario is that they fix it for free, and the worst case is that you have a professional diagnosis of the problem.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 daphil69

daphil69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:57 AM

The guy is really dodgy and overpriced!, he is an amature

he installed a Dvd 16x burner and fixed the problem (by enterting recovery console and typing fixmbr) and for that he charged $200... and ive called up and he says that it was caused by many programs running and then i wasnt patient and turned it over via power switch, and he says next week he will reformat it which will ALSO cost money like $60!
Does anybody know any good computer services in melbourne,Victoria, Australia that dont charge much or does anybody know how to fix it?

And i dont think i broke the ram because i tryed turning on computer with ram, it works fine until the 'xp screen, and i tryed taking out the ram completely and turning on and it makes a long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound, i put it back in and still broken :thumbsup:.

Btw garmanma i changed the boot order in bios ( i press DEL button whilst starting up)

and when im starting up there is a really really quick screen that says 64.0mb ram or something like that, its hard to read as its there for half a second, also when it says

BOOT FROM CD
BOOT FROM CD

it says Ram in bank: 0

and when im in bios it says

Loaded Memmory 256mb
Total Memory 256mb ... something along those lines
and that part is a darker blue and cant scroll over it ... but think thats normal for all computers?

#5 daphil69

daphil69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

Ok guys, luckily the day before it broke i took off the recovery console admin password!, i got an old dell (were i took the ram from) i put the ram back in and put the corrupt hard drive in and put the windows xp cd in :thumbsup:, because the other comp wont detect it, so i got into recovery console and theres no password!!!!

im doing a few commands like fixmbr, fixboot, chkdsk, chkdsk/f, chkdsk/r

:flowers::trumpet::) Wish Me Luck i seriously hope this works

#6 daphil69

daphil69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:05 AM

Some good news :flowers:, The cd thing worked :trumpet:
And putting the hardrive in other computer wasnt neccesary

i just realised my dvd drive accepts Cds :inlove: so i put in the windows xp cd and press R for recovery console and then type : Fixboot, Fixmbr, Chkdsk and that seems to fix the problem, I can then log onto my account as normal and do things on the computer, If i shut down by SHUTDOWN button it works normally, but if i press restart or powerbutton on the computer tower, it gets the error again :thumbsup:

Does anybody know how to fix this?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

When you go to "turn off computer" and select Shut Down, the computer goes through the process of closing all of the applications that are running in the backround. Just using the power switch or reset switch does not do that and you really should not use the way to shut down the computer
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

The Unmountable Boot Volume error will probably remain an issue. I'd suggest that you download and run a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive before you can't boot into Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 daphil69

daphil69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:33 AM

Good News :thumbsup:

I downloaded : Bug Doctor, Registry Booster, Error Killer, Windows Power Tools
And ran all of them and corrected over 600 errors/problems in my computer and it really helped, i recommend downloading those tools and using them!, i managed to get my FREE RAM from 18% to 52% using Windows Power Tools!

And theres no more blue screens on start up! those programs rock
my computer is once again in good state :flowers:

Thanks for all the help people from bleeping computer

&& to Pentium of RE if your reading this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users