Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

I am running Vista Ultimate (System Builders Edition) on a home build with 2.1 Ghz Processor and 2 gigs of ram. I have been running Vista since January 29th and have not had a great deal of problems that have not been able to be resolved.

I also use a MS Ergonomic Keyboard that is USB. The last couple of days I have had trouble wtih the "Keyboard Not Recognized or No Keyboard". I have been able by changing USB ports to get it working again. Same thing this morning. I know it is not the keyboard as I plugged the USB connector from the keyboard into my laptop and it worked fine (after drivers were automatically installed)

I kept changing USB connector ports and it finally started. Went straight into BIOS and set this for optimum performance. I thought in doing so that it would make sure settings for keyboard would be correct.

After getting into Vista, I did a system restore and took Vista back to when I wasn't having any problems. After the restore and when the computer restarted, I saw a message on the right hand side of the tray saying that "Device Drivers were being installed for Human Interface Device"

Upon looking in Device Manager, I see that the Human Interface Device has several USB headings in front of it. Is it possible that the drivers for the USB Interface Device were the drivers that made the USB Keyboard functional. Don't know what caused it but I think I may have solved the problem.

With me installing a system builder version of Vista Ultimate, I am tied to this motherboard with this operating system. I would have to repurchase Vista Ultimate if indeed the motherboard had gone bad. I don't know if there is a way to repair the keyboard port (if that is where the problem was) or not.

Any thoughts would sure be appreciate. I am afraid to turn the system of for fear I won't get back in again. Thanks for your suggestions .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

I personally don't beleive that the HID drivers which were installed are actually for the keyboard, but rather for the port itself. I'm not sure on that though.

Didn't the keyboard come with it's own software?

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yes. In fact I downloaded from MS the most current drivers for the keyboard. I do have it working again but don't know from minute to minute if it is going to do it again or not.

In Device Manager, it shows that the keyboard is working properly. Go figure. Just when I think things are working pretty well something else comes up. I guess it makes life interesting.

#4 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

It's possible that the drivers for the USB ports became corrupted, and when you system restored, Windows may have recognized that and reinstalled them.

Hopefully all is well now and you have nothing to worry about. But, if it happens again, keep me updated. This one intrigues me.

;)

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

Will do NeSince92. Thanks for taking interest in my problem. Right now everything is working properly again but I guess with Vista it is only a matter of time before something else happens. I've been running Vista Ultimate since the 29th of January (Nearly 7 months!!) Guess I have nobody to blame but myself as I am sure Windows XP was far more stable. That is the life of the early adoptees (almost feels like an alien term!!!)

Windows Vista is really pretty to look at and, for the most part, pretty stable for me now.

I'll keep you posted on what is going on with this keyboard.

#6 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

Will do NeSince92. Thanks for taking interest in my problem.

Sure thing!

I bought my mother a new desktop with Vista, and was planning to format it and put XP on it. First it was extremely difficult to actually perform the downgrade, and when I finally was able to do it, There were no drivers available for any of the hardware. I ended up putting Vista back on it anyway.

The only real problem she's run into is that her Lotus Notes still don't really work right in IE. I had her use firefox and it works fine, so I haven't looked at it again. haha

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

The only thing I haven't been able to get work is my Sony Clie (PDA) Of course Sony wrote and told me that they were not going to support it in Vista so I'm using it with another machine I have that still has Vista on it. I also have one music program that is supposed to have a patch for Vista in the next week or two. Other than that, everything works.

I also have a lap top with Vista Home Premium. It is made by HP. I think HP must have made sure that everything installed on the laptop worked as I have had no troubles at all with it.

I am typing on a HP computer my granddaughter has at her house. It has Vista basic and works pretty well.

Isn't it great being the pioneers of new technology. Keep me posted on how you are doing with your Vista experience.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

Systems that come prebuilt with Vista on them are generally a bit more stable than home built systems. The reason for this is that the manufacturer's have a "team" that ensures that the drivers work on their system through a testing process. Home builders usually don't have this luxury. Manufacturer's also have the option to switch hardware to something that works better - but a home builder usually doesn't want to shell out money hunting for a piece of equipment.

We're trying to install XP on an HP laptop (came with Vista) at work - and it's a chore! Still have one driver that we can't find - and it's been 2 days! At home, I've got 3 computers being built for Vista and I'm having so many problems with the first one that I'm considering buying new motherboartds just to get Vista compatibility (rather than spending the time hunting for drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users