Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Acts Of Kindness Thread.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:22 AM

I would like to hear about all those acts of Kindness.When you needed help and somebody came to your aid,and wouldn't accept a cent as payment. Good Samaritans who have gone out their way to help you. I imagine nearly everybody has a story to tell. We hear about all the bad things all the time,in the Media.So here's a chance to prove, there are still good people around. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

During our fundraising for Pancreatic Cancer UK, random people who are known not to have many pennies, would donate copius amounts, I mean hoooge! And we'd find envelopes of donations posted anon thru our letter box :trumpet: Made me and my family cry on a few occasions :flowers: :thumbsup:
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

I have a neighbor that has an older Compaq Presario that was running on ME and had 64MB of RAM and his modem had died. I took it home and removed the 64MB module and installed two 128MB modules that I had, wiped the hdd and installed W2k Pro w/SP4, AVG, Zone Alarm, Adaware, and Spybot Search & Destroy. I bought him an inexpensive US Robotics modem and installed it and had him back on line.

I knew that my neighbor is disabled and has a very restrictive income so I refused any compensation for you work or parts. My neighbor volunteers his time at the local food bank and dropped by and handed me a large box of dry goods and canned goods and five frozen chickens. My financial situation is tight at the moment because of my return to school, and these extra groceries were greatly appreciated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Biker Chick

Biker Chick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

When my oldest son was only 6 yrs old, his father, my husband, had deserted us, he was found to have a tumor growing on one of his ribs in his back. The tumor was between the rib and the lung. It was puting pressure on his lungs. He needed immediate surgery to remove. It was affecting his breathing. I had insurance, but not enough to cover all the cost. After the surgery and he was recouperating, I was making monthly payments to the hospital and Dr., also, I was trying to raise 3 children as a single parent.

I skipped making a payment or 2 and received a notice from the Dr. they were going to turn me over to a collection agency if I did not pay. I sent off a letter immediately and ask the Dr. if he would wait till after Christmas, because I had to buy my children their Santa Clause. Then I would try to catch up on all my payments.

I was really shocked a couple of days later to receive a letter from the Dr's office telling me that the Dr. had informed them to notify me to consider my bill paid in full. Needless to say, I immediately sent a Thank You note to the Dr.

This son is now 46 yrs. old, and this is one act of random kindness that I will never forget as long as I live.

Biker Chick
Posted Image

#5 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

Yipee, a wonderful topic that makes my heart smile just thinking about it! :thumbsup: Thanks DSTM!

Turi, I've discovered the same thing myself - it's often those with the least to give that give the very most - truly wonderful! And to read of the massive kindness you did for your neighbour, dc3 - truly wonderful, honestly!!! And receiving the groceries was such a perfect thing - far better than an offer of money - and I'm so pleased for you.

Guess I've lived long enough to see so so so many random acts of kindness - yet each and every one remains special to me, whether it's someone with a cheery good morning while they hold the door open as I trundle through with my shopping cart, etc, or a huge kindness, such as you received Biker Chick. That must have been a truly horrifying time for you and no wonder the doctor's kindness still remains - gentle hug.

Finding myself in a slightly similar situation many years ago - having what we thought was great health insurance only to discover that 'round the clock' nursing in pediatric forever-care was not totally covered - I paid regularly to the hospital for 2 years, but even so was starting to fall behind with the interest applied, etc. But on Christmas morning, I found a present for me in my child's sock hanging on the end of his bed. A gift from unknown people - the Shriners - who had, without my ever speaking with them, taken it upon themselves to pay the full amount owing in full - plus they continued to pay until our little boy finally died. Each year at Christmas time, it is now my turn to 'pay them back for their kindness' - and yet, what they did during those sad years, was something that could honestly never be repaid.

But at the risk of sounding like the perpetual Pollyanna, gotta say that it's all the wonderful seemingly 'tiny' acts of kindness, not just the 'biggies', that make this my world so great - huge smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

Great Stories.You seem to remember acts of kindness for a lifetime,whether kindness to you in times of trouble,or some kind thing you have done for someone else. By relating what you have done for someone else,in this thread is not blowing your own trumpet,so lets hear them. Wonderfull satisfaction,you must have got helping that Man,dc3.To see the look of gratitude on their faces,is worth more than a paltry few bucks.IMHO.
In about 1972,I had 2 boys 6 and 4 and decided to take the Family to the beach one Sunday,as a long promised treat.
Arrived,changed in the dressing shed.No Clothing Lockers in those days.So I wrapped everything in a towel and went surfing.Came back and didn't realize that moment, that our things had been tampered with.Got changed,took the family across the road and ordered Drinks and food.When I went to pay,I realized my Wallet had been stolen.I said sorry to the person behind the counter,and turned round to leave. A Lady behind me passed the cashier 20 Dollars to pay our bill.I was in shock at the generousity.I said thankyou a number of times and asked her where I could contact her to repay the money.She said,you just have repaid me,by saying thankyou and showing your gratitude.
I never forgot that woman,and her generousity.It changed my attitude then and there,and for the rest of my life have been helping other people,who are genuine and need help,when I could afford it.

Edited by DSTM, 29 August 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hi Mara! Where you been, vacation?

Back in 1978, when I was living in Lowell, Mass. I ran out of gas on the interstate heading toward New Hampshire. It was dark, cold, my wife and kids were in the car. Some man stopped and drove me to the next exit so I could get gas. Then he drove me back to my car. That took a lot of guts, stopping on the dark hiway and helping someone. I don't remember his name, he didn't give his last name, and of course I never saw him again. But I sure was glad to see him that night! :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Yup, on a wee holiday tucked away on a cabin on the ocean - lovely time! (And then came back to a computer throwing a hissy-fit ... hmmm, maybe it missed me! :thumbsup: ).

It's people like the gentleman who stopped to rescue you and your family re running out of gas, Wildabeast - and people like the lady who paid for your family's ice cream, DSTM ... all things that warm our heart and stay with us forever. And as silly as this may seem, I think it's these small things in life that make the day-to-day humps and bumps of living seem small in comparison to the caring that truly exists in our world.

My father was a firm believer in doing kindesses to others - and felt that the other thanks he ever needed was for the person receiving the help to 'pass it on' to the next person they met who was having difficulty. Not a unique concept, I know, but our world would be a shabbier place without people caring.

Really hope most members take a second to add their own 'kindess received or given' here ... in the midst of our cynical world, reading these wee stories is a joy!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users